Winchester Model 70 .270

Welcome to the asylum commander...

Without knowing what you're intended use is, it's a little tough to say... saying that, both rifle and cartridge are well thought of.

Cheers,
C

You must be channeling Jack O'Connor. I haven't reloaded .270 Winchester yet, my experience shooting it has been that it is both accurate and has mild recoil.

I was thinking about maybe getting a Winchester model 70 in a .270 cal. Any thoughts or comments?

The finest rifle made today is the new FN Model 70 Featherweight. Mine just happens to be in 270 Winchester.

I have several Model 70s, pre and post '64, in my mine the finest off the shelf Model 70 is the new FM models.

Extremely smooth, accurate. Even being a pencil thin barreled Featherweight.

The accuracy doesn't go south as they get hot as much as the other Featherweights I have.

With the introduction of high BC .277 bullets coming out today the range of the 270 has been extended. Try the 150 Gn Berger .277's will give you all the range you need for hunting game such as elk. The 130s (the bread and butter 270 rounds) match style hunting bullets will shoot farther then you want to walk out to retrieve you game.

If you were any where close, I'd let you shoot my Featherweight, then watch you race to the gun store looking for yours.

I'm in complete agreement with Kraigwy. I'm more of a stainless/synthetic guy so I'd lean toward the Winchester EW, but if I wanted walnut blue I'd buy nothing but the Winchester Featherweight. Nothing else comes close.

I have one of the factory stainless Featherweights as well as on older push feed Featherweight. The balance, weight and pointability are as perfect as you'll get on a hunting rifle. Not too heavy to drag up mountains, not too light to shoot easily or beat you up with recoil.

I started with 30-06 back in the 70's and just never saw the need to change and 270 is just too close for me to justify owning both. But I'd not feel a bit handicapped with a 270. In fact with modern loadings a 30-06 will shoot just as flat as a 270 and modern 270 bullets will perform just as well on larger game as the heavier 30-06 bullets.

I have a 2011 Model 70 in .270. Mine is the Super grade. I put a Luepold gold ring 3x9x40 on it. Its my multi purpose gun. Took a large antelope in Wyoming last year at 370 yards. I hunt coyote in Ohio with it with vmax reloads.

I love this gun! I have never shot a pre-64 but I have seen and messed with some guns from the bad years. The new factory models are heads and tails above the lost year models. As accuracy goes I have never shot past 400yds. Last year I was on. 1000 yd range sighting in for my hunt and for fun tossed a 150gr factory load at a steel IPSC target. First round clanged off the center chest. Next few rounds were within 3 inches. Good enough for me.

Buy it, buy good glass, reload and enjoy!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Back