Winchester Model 69 & 69A, Differences?

Halfpint

Recently a friend of mine was bequeathed a fairly nice condition Winchester Model 59 .22 bolt action rifle. The only `problem?' with it is that it is missing the magazine. Now I have found some sources of magazines for model 69As but so far none for model 69s. What are the differences between the two models *and* are they such that a magazine for a model 69A *won't* fit a model 69?

I was under the impression that one could order manuals for various Winchester models via their Web Site but this last time I looked I couldn't find anyplace to do it. Is this still possible and if it is how does one now go about doing it?

------------------
Doleo ergo sum,
-HALFPINT-

Halfpint, the main difference or only difference I'm aware of in the two is that the 69 cocks on closing and the 69A on opening. There is a real good chance that the magazines will fit both. George

Check the Gun List for folks who sell M69s. I have found that they sell parts as well, some of them, or can put you in contact with those who sell parts.

Original mags for the 56/57/75/52/69/69A (all the same) are a little salty ($35 plus) mainly because they fit the Model 52 and have the Winchester trade mark. Aftermarket mags are $12 or so from Gun Parts Corp. I have one in a Model 52 and it works OK.

Jim

Far out! Thanks for all the info!

As for getting an `original'.... I suspect that *one* will be bought just to `complete' the rifle and after that the rest will be the `re-pops'. $35... *Yikes*! {GRIN!}

------------------
Doleo ergo sum,
-HALFPINT-

In 1958, when I was 14 years old, my Dad gave me a used Winchester 69 for Christmas. My son has that rifle now and I suspect my grandson will have it in a couple of years. It is an extremely accurate rifle.

The biggest differences between the 69 and 69A is the bolt and the safety.
George is right about the 69A cocking on opening.
The the other difference is the 69 had the safety incorporated in the knob on the rear of the bolt. You pulled it back and twisted to operate it. The 69A had a sliding safety on the right side of the receiver behind the bolt handle.

The magazines should interchange.
I had 5 round and 10 round mags, plus two different single shot adapters for mine. I doubt if my son has them anymore.

Neil Casper

[Edited by Cat on 01-15-2001 at 12:10 PM]

I believe what I have is a 69 then and not a 69A because
mine has the safety knob on the end of the bolt.

Any clue why the much older and far less produced
69 would be not worth as much as the 69A? According to
the book I have anyway.

Terry

I have a 69a and use the gun parts corp 5round mags. They work fine. I would like to find front and rear sights for mine, and a 10 round mag if possible.

Back