Winchester Model 62a slide action .22

Wyoredman

Help

A friend's recent widow has asked me to clean up her late husbands guns. They have been pretty neglected, to say the least.

One is a Winchester Model 62A, and it is giving me fits. First, I couldn't get the slide cover to budge. Soaking in penetrating oil and applying a bit of heat finally loosened it enough so I could remove it.

The next step is removing the magazine tube. This is where I am stuck. I did get the retaining pin driven out, but the tube must be rusted in place. I can't get it to slide forward. I have soaked the "tube loops" in oils, penetrating oils and gun solvent for several days. I have tried a bit of heat, tapping with a mallet and even using a punch and hammer in the cartridge cutout. Nothing budges the tube.

Without removing the tube, I cant remove the slide and the bolt to clean them.

What do I do to get the magazine tube to free up without destroying it?

HELP!

Thanks.

Well, no luck.
I couldn't get it apart. Just sprayed the action down as best I could with Hoppes gun cleaner, wiped it down.
I gave the gun back to the widow.

Sorry for the lack of success; ~10 yrs ago I did a full detail strip & clean of my late fathers' M62A;
although being maintained reasonably well, I doubt it had been taken down to that extent since it was made in 1940.
Pretty satisfying to get out dirt & residue approaching that age out of the machining details.

Thanks for the reply. That cool rifle didn't work when I got it, but it does cycle now. I just wish I could have gotten it apart and given it a proper cleaning. Oh well. Maybe my friends widow will sell it to someone who can get it apart. Maybe she will just keep it and shoot vermin.
Cheers.

Back