winchester model 24 value

mk8tim

i recently acquired a winchester model 24 12 gauge with 30" barrels and serial #994. it's in very good condition and i'm wondering what the actual value is. i've seen quotes for 600 to 1300 dollars. this seems like a wild range in price to me. anyone have an opinion or some facts about what it's actually worth?

Depending on condition, $1200 is not out of line. If it is loose and rattles when shaken, $600 is fair. Most Winchesters do not shoot loose unless abused, so you can count on the higher number. If the finish is intact, it could be closer to $1500. Find someone who deals in Winchesters and have them appraise it.

In my opinion $600 would be high. Never were two guns of the same type from the same manufacturer more different than the Winchester 21 and 24. I take that back. The Model 12 and 1200 were the same deal.
A lot of people looking to get in to side by sides will jump on a Winchester 24, because of the Winchester label I think, and I will often see one go for more than I think it's worth, but rarely will you see a shotgun guy pay major bucks for one.

If someone offered me $600 for a model 24 I would get the old Prayer Rug out and thank Allah for sending him my way.

well i have done some more research since and if you ever acquire one get your prayer rug ready. lol these sell all the time for much higher than 600. mine is very tight and the wood is beautiful. it shoots very well also. i find people either love it or hate it. i'm still on the fence. i'm used to walking through the woods with my old model 60 or 10/22 so this thing feels like a monster to me. thank you guys for replying

I just bought a Winchester model 24 and its in super excellent condition with only a few minor spots on the barrel. It's a 12 with 30 tubes and shoots great. I paid $ 380.00 out the door for it. I don't see how it gets a bad rap for being a quality double SXS. I would take this gun and hunt it anywhere. For me..I'd rather have it compared to other SXS's of same price range. It's built like a tank.

And there ya go - built like a tank - who wants to carry a tank? I most certainly do not...............for upland birds, a good Spanish gun is worth every penney

compared to what?, please list a few. the ones i see sold are sold mostly because of the winchester name or dad or grandad had one. eastbank.

Last edited:
Well it's easy to carry because it's not that heavy to begin with. Sure it's not a 5 1/2 pound super engraved, ultra light weight $3,000 bird gun. But for rabbits and squirrels, and sitting in a dove field it's perfect. Although after carrying a 11 lb double rifle in Africa for miles at a time, this things a piece of cake. I guess too heavy to carry is a relative term. Some people I guess can't seem to manage. I have lightweight Brownings and Rugers and there fine too. For $380.00 I'll take this gun anyday, especially the shape this ones in :D

well i have carried heavy rifles in africa to, after things that could kill me, i spent a month in africa just last may to june. and you don,t have to spend 3000.00 for good double barreled shotgun if you look. these three were bought not to long ago for from 400.00-500.00. and weight less than 7.5 lbs. eastbank.

Attachments

• Picture 2084.jpg
    Picture 2084.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 344
  • Picture 2085.jpg
    Picture 2085.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 249
  • Picture 2086.jpg
    Picture 2086.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 217
Hi:
Used a Model 24 for years hunting waterfowl along the New England coast. I shot heavy 1 1/2 ounce lead loads and never had a problem. I retired the 24 when steel shot became the "law of the land". It is just as tight today as when I started using it in 1964. It is a well made shotgun just not fancy.

Back