Winchester model 1911SL shotgun

I am looking for information about the history of the Winchester Model 1911SL shotgun. (if there is any).
Does anyone know if there are parts available somewhere for this?
I would also like to get disassembly information, e.g. barrel removal.
Thank you in advance,
Gary Clark

Gary, the Winchester Model 1911SL shotgun was the first semiautomatic shotgun from Winchester which was developed by T.C. Johnson to compete with the Remington Model 11(which was developed by John M. Browning with help from T.C. Johnson). The Model 1911SL was made from 1911-1925 with 82,774 being produced. Only chambered in 12ga., the 1911SL had a recoil operated action with either a 26" or 28" barrel with various chokes. There was both a Plain and a Fancy version. The Plain version had a plain laminated pistol grip stock & forend with a hard rubber buttplate. The Fancy version had fancy grade birch laminate stock. A Plain 1911SL in excellent condition could be worth about $475-$550 and a Fancy 1911SL in excellent condition could be worth about $700-$800.

The Winchester 1911SL did not prove satisfactory partly because the design had to be exclusive of the patents for Browning's A-5 model. Interestingly that this was a design which Winchester had originally helped Browning patent.

I would recommend contacting Gun Parts Corporation At http://www.gunpartscorp.com for parts for 1911SL. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace

------------------
After today, its all historical

I was going to ask about the Winchester 1911, don't remember any SL. It was my dad's, and maybe his dad's. It's in storage in another state, so I don't have any detailed info, such as the pat. numbers on the barrel, or if it has a serial #. It has the 'humpback' look, ala Browning, but the most remarkable thing is the knurled barrel, which is pushed in to charge it. Any further info would be appreciated, as well as any on the Bridge Gun Company's 'Black Prince', in .410. Thanks.

Hi, Real saxman,

The "SL" was used as an abbreviation for self loading, not as part of the model name.

As Steven said, Johnson had to work around Browning's patents, one of which was for an operating handle. Knurling the barrel so it could be pushed in was the way Johnson evaded that patent.

Jim

Back