Winchester Model 1897 Forend Movement

ar15man2009

Hello,

I recently acquired a model 1897 winchester pump. It's an E series take-down model and the serial number puts it about 1927. It seems to be in overall decent condition. It locks up well but there's one small problem. When the bolt is locked all the way forward there is around a half inch of wiggle in the forend. Other than that everything is very solid.

I was wondering if anyone else has ran into a similar issue, or may have a solution to the problem. I'm sure there are plenty more factors that play in so if anyone has any other questions about the gun I'll do my best to answer them.

I found one thing that I think could be the problem. On the left side of the shell carriertheres a small silver bar that slides into a recess but on mine it doesnt go all the way to the end. The small silver bar looks almost like it is broken. Or maybe it is supposed to be shorter than the recess. I've never seen another one to compare, and I can't find any pictures online of the left side of the receiver with the bolt open. If anyone out there has one close by it should be easy to tell.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
Hogan Goodwin

The fore end on mine has some wiggle too. Thought it was normal. *shrugs*
I'll check it to see how much when I get home later.

Define "wiggle"...

Can you "cock" the forend a bit left/right? are you talking about it moving further forward after the gunlocks shut?

As long as the forend does not open the action when the gun is cocked (without using the relase button) its working. Some play in the forend is usual

Most of these guns don't unlock after firing if the forend is held back tight when fired. Often you have to give the forend a little bump forward (or hold it so that the recoil does that for you) before you can pull it back to open the action.

I don't have a model 97, but I have seen/used them a little, and I have a Model 12, which has a very similar action in that regard.

BE VERY AWARE of where you put your thumb when you shoot & pump the action. The bolt is sharp.....and can leave scars...

My grandpa had a 97. I only got to shoot it a few times but the whole thing seemed to be "wiggly" and made a heck of a racket when pumped.

To my knowledge, it never failed to fire and was always dependable.

The movement is front to back. I measured more carefully and it seems to be exactly 3/8 of an inch. The right to left rock is very minimal.

I did consider that maybe the wiggle was normal, but it almost seems like too much to be regular. Maybe not. Like I said I've never had my hands on another to compare. It does lock up very well. Once the bolt is closed and locked up tight, that's when the forend will slide forward further. And when I slide it back, not even a budge.

I wouldn't worry about it, if the gun is locking up properly. You have a gun that is 85 years old, and the design is 30years older. Single action bar, compared to the two found on more modern pumps (post WWII).

There is a stud on the action bar that rides in a slot in the bolt, and what you are most likely seeing is a combination of the built in tolerances, and some wear from 80+ years of use.

However, if the receiver extension is loose, you have a serious issue. There is a lot of adjustment possible but it is a job for a knowledgeable gunsmith.

Do you know how to do the takedown? its not remotely like modern shotguns.

Yes, it takes down very smoothly, but locks up tight. You couldn't budge anything if you tried once its together. The threads are still in very good shape. It looks like it hasn't been taken down very many times considering the age. I think that everything is very solid as far as that goes.

Back