Winchester Model 1895 7.62mm Russian Contract Rifle

varifleman

Here for your viewing pleasure in Winchester Model 1895 7.62mm Russian Contract Rifle serial number 283932 1916 production and falls within the serial number ranges 174,234-377,412 for the second contract of 200,000 rifles singed 27 August 1915 and completed deliveries by December 1916. Rifle has Russian “XN3” acceptance proof mark on the right side of the frame. It also probably served in the Bolshevik Revolution and Spanish Civil War.

Last edited:
The old girl has been around, but I wouldn't kick her out of my gun safe.

An 1895 in 7.62x54R has been on my want list for a while. The Tsar's armorers picked a fine rifle for the Russian Empire...

Most of the surviving ones have been beaten all to heck and back. This one's taken some lumps, but it looks reasonably good.

I was that close to buying one, but it was missing the correct rear sight and handguard. It was a shame really, the rifle was in about the same condition as the OP's with a decent bore. The seller wouldn't come down from $1100 and I refused to pay more than $850.

An excellent find. Have the headpsace checked out, those in the know have often encountered headspace problems, that 7.62x54R round was a little much for that action.

Good on the good bore. Normally they're pretty much sewer pipes because of the low-level of Russian care and the high level of corrosive salts in the primers...

For you movie buffs - the best Japanese director was Akira Kurosawa .The only movie he made away fromJapan was " Dersu Uzala" .A story about an army patrol in Siberia who met a"Mountain Man " .A very different and interesting story. The patrol officer carried aWin 1895 and the rest carried the lesser rifle of the time .

Here are two photos of Russian troops armed with these rifles; note soldier on left in first photo loading rifle with 5-round stripper clip:

Yes, after fixing sticky carrier/spring shot well; probably hadn't been shot in a while; will shoot it a few times a year.

got a nice bayonet for the rifle:

Attachments

• bayo1.jpg
    bayo1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 48
  • bayo2.jpg
    bayo2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 31
  • bayo3.jpg
    bayo3.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 32
Back