Winchester Model 1894 question

Ordie

Inactive
First time question from me, I'm pretty curious about a old gun I got from my mother-in-law for Christmas. Model 1894 S/N 154,xxx, 25-35 W.C.F.. Looks to be in "Fair" condition according to what I've read so far about grading. Preliminary search looks like a build date about 1899. My question is if that is accurate and if there are many of these still around.

Yes, that serial number would put in right in the middle of the 1899 production year. 25-35 was one of the more uncommon chamberings. You said the firearm is in fair condition, do you have a picture? Is it a rifle (longer barrel/forearm nose cap, no barrel bands) or a carbine (short barrel/barrel bands)? Rifles in 25-35 are fairly uncommon, carbines are relatively common.

I'll put some pictures together, It is a rifle with a forearm cap no bands. It also has a lever on the end of the magazine tube. I thought that was unique.

The lever on the magazine tube is for the takedown, to disassemble the rifle into two sections for easy transportation. Takedown Model 94's are scarce so if the gun is in good condition, it may have a fair value.

Jim

This was a working gun on a ranch in northern Ca. until the early sixties. There are dings and scratches, the but plate is wrong and most of the bluing has been worn off, but no serious damage that I can see. It needs a good cleaning though. The action is smooth and tight. It feels really sound.

Photos attached model 1894 takedown

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 74
  • image(9).jpeg
    image(9).jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 59
  • image(6).jpeg
    image(6).jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
You have a nice condition 4 option RIFLE version of a Winchester model 1894.. The options are #1 takedown model, #2 half round barrel, #3 shotgun butt, #4 abreviated magazine. Great looking gun with some real world caractor.

A short magazine takedown rifle in 25-35 is worth about $1,200-$1,500 in anybody's book, possibly more. I would say it is in good condition. Nice rifle.

FWIW, The Winchester Polishing Room Records show that SN 154xxx series Model 1894's were finished & sent to the warehouse in the last half of 1902, not 1899.

Model 1894 short magazine, takedown rifle, Good condition, went to the polishing room in late 1902. I learned allot of info here, thanks to all who contributed. :D

Ordie. You have a gem. Preserve it with Renaissance Wax. You can buy it at a Woodcraft store. Developed by the British Museum, it is used by museum curators worldwide and is PH neutral. It may be applied to both wood and metal. Take some closeup pictures too and get a signed letter from your MIL attesting to its provenance. If you have a kid, (s)he'll be glad you did.

Back