winchester model 1892

308custom

Inactive
hi everyone i have a winchester model 1892 the barrel is stamped 38 wcf i belive thats 38-40 i bought some bullets for it and its a good rifle but barrel grooves are gone and its realy pitted so its shoots real bad ,is there anything that can be done with this barrel like a reebore or does anyone know where i can buy a good used barrel i realy like this rifle for hunting madium game like javalina.

have you tried different diamimter bullets? i had the same problem and ended up useing 402 lead bullets with 17grs imr 4227, rifle was not a tack driver but would shoot 4-5 inch groups at one hundred yards. if that fails,redmans is a good outfit to do the work. eastbank.

Sometimes they just REALLY need to be cleaned also. Years of neglect, corrosive ammo and lead bullets can hide what rifling is there, and make it shoot poorly. A friend has an original Henry that has been in the family for many years. The bore was so caked with crud it looked like a 32 when he started cleaning it, and after days of work, it was pitted some, but the rifling was decent, and certainly looked good enough to shoot.

Used original barrels turn up. You could also have a barrel made that has original type markings, as the restorers do them. A rebore to 44 WCF wouldnt be a bad option tho.

Back