winchester model 1884 30 W.C.F. ?

mikeaway

Inactive
Serial #868xxx It has the model #1884 on the bottom of the receiver. Lever action with a saddle ring on the left side. Round barrel. Overall fair to good condition. Original bluing, original fore stock and butt stock finish. Normal wear. The patent number was on the barrel but i don't recal the date. Anyone know the year of manufacture? Or other info? Value in today’s market?
Thanks, Mike

I believe you had a typo, your rifle should be a model 1894 not 1884. Your serial number dates your carbine to 1919 as the year of manufacture.

I went back to re-examine the gun and it was as all had said here. Winchester model 1894 saddle ring carbine in .30 W.C.F 20 in. barrel. Bought it. $350 from a private individual. Better condition than I thought after closer inspection. 35-50% original blueing, receiver a light blue-brown patena. Fold up windage adjustable rear sight, small front blade sight. I am more familiar with modern firearms but i couldn't resist such a piece of history. It is more attractive looking than any of my modern military style rifles. Thanks for all the help! now, any suggestions on ammo? will .30 cal carbine RN ball like for a M1 carbine work? Mike

The correct ammunition is what was then called the ".30 Winchester Center Fire" and which we now generally call .30-30; just about any gun shop should have it.

The .30 carbine fires the same diameter bullet, but it is most definitely not the same cartridge. If you are talking reloading, you could use the .30 carbine BULLET in the .30-30 case but the accuracy might not be good.

Jim

Back