Winchester Model 12's : Penitentiary Guns!

General Tso

I was just down at my local gun shop today checking into some parts and noticed about a half dozen Winchester Model 12's on the rack. Seem's that they just bought out a batch of guns from our local state pen! There's a mix of 20" riot models and 28" tube tower guns. Overall used but in pretty nice shape. Prices ranging from $295 - $329 on teh few that I looked at. Most are take down models. They supposedly have some more in the back of the shop too.

Only down side was that they didn't have any pen property stamps :(. Still, real nice guns with some interesting history to them. I'm already toying with what I could swap to bring one home but I fear severe beatings from the wife if I bring home a 2nd shotgun in as many weeks :D.

Hey, explain you now have a piece of history! Forget the penitentiary use; the old 12 is one of the finer shotty-guns ever made.

My old 30" FC is still my first choice for bird hunting.

Either the 20" for household security, or a 28" for birds. You can always send it in to Simmons, if you want a vent rib and "purty" appearance.

:), Art

Prison inventory weapons are often shot little, that's the good news.

The bad news includes the fact that they're oft maintained by lackadaisical and ignorant personnel, and suffer from neglect and occasional abuse.

When I started at the Md House of Correction in 1977, the armory included a variety of old Winchester pumps, the 12s were common and there were some 97s also. All were turned in for some S&W 3000s, which did not hold up well.

I'd be tempted to pickup at least one long bbled 12 and build a trap gun. Those 20" bbled versions are tempting also, but I've enough tactical shotguns and not enough toys(G)...

I like the riot gun models but I currently have 3 other riot config shotguns so I don't really need another (want is another matter ;)). The only shotgun I have vaguely suitable for birds or trap is my 28" tube Winchester '97 I use for CAS matches. I might be able to make a case for a 28" gun...

Good luck, General, as a long married man I know how that goes(G).

I'd like a Model 12 for trap, even though my 870 is doing a great job.

If I had acesss to those, I might get giddy and inquire about lay away.

Eh, that's the one thing that kinda blows about this shop, only a 30 day layaway. Enough to get you to the next paycheck if that's all you need but not much more.

Agreed though, if I knew I could scam some time to pay one off I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

Back