Winchester model 06

hollylx88

Inactive
Hey all, my father has a beautiful little Winchester 06 and i was hoping someone here may know something about the gun, mainly how to properly disassemble for cleaning. I didn't want to mess around with it too much because i wanted to be careful of the finish and keep it looking as good as it does. Thanks in advance!

try biggerhammer.net its a very useful site that has many of the factory manuals free to download.

the 1906 Winchester was very popular with the prison system and served for many years as the guards rifle. this rifle was originally chambered in 351 and 401 later on

it is a semi automatic rifle that is fed by a box magazine, but you should know that neither the 351 or the 401 are in high demand so the cartriges are best suited to handloading. Brownells or midway usa should have the proper dies you will need good luck this carbine is one of my favorite semi automatic rifles manufactured by Winchester.

This is a .22 slide action. Its really just an old gallery gun. I've been looking everywhere for a manual or at least looking for someone who can tell me how to disassemble it, but i keep coming up empty. Its a great little gun, I'm actually surprised its this hard to find a manual.

The 1906 was only chambered in .22 short, .22 long, and in .22 short/long/long rifle.

If you're just trying to do a simple clean and oil job, just removing the break down screw on the left of the rifle and separating the stock from the barrel should give you plenty of access to the action.

I would like to do a pretty thorough cleaning as I'm not sure when this gun was actually cleaned last. But if i can get it all by simply removing the take down screw and separating the two half's, then that's what I'll do. Thanks for the info.

Expect the barrel's innards to be rough - don't forget, when that rifle was new, the ammo was blackpowder fired via corrosive priming, unlike modern ammunition.

I wouldn't be very aggressive when cleaning the bore, as the steels used in rimfires of that day are nowhere like the steels of today.

If you oil the insides after cleaning/etc, please don't stand it on end - lest excess oil drain into the stock wood over time, darkening and softening it in the area behind the action.

I also wouldn't store it in a typical soft gun case, as the linings can attract moisture, causing rust - although there are gun socks specifically treated for firearms storage.

Back