Winchester Mod120 vs 1200

Big Bunny

Harley...Is there any difference(s) between these two P/A 12GA shotguns made by Winchester in US ?
The reason I ask is that under the recent 'Gun Grab' in OZ the M120 weas not listed as compensatable in NSW, but the 1200 was at $480.
One was handed in and destroyed and now the Govnt wants to quibble over (not)paying.

The only difference I can see is the M120 has vebt-rib for clays in a 28" barrel while the M1200 is for hunting, but I am not sure.

If they were the same we could perhaps get this poor (too)trusting local shooter at least some belated $$ money from the federal Medicare Levy funds ,so he can buy something else like an o/u to replace his M120 pumpie.

Hope the cyclone missed you all. Saalarms...

------------------
***Big Bunny***

Big Bunny,
Do you mean the Model 12 shotgun by Winchester? It was eventually phased out b/c of production costs making the shotgun uneconomical to produce. Winchester supposedly was losing money by the time production ceased in the mid 50s. The successor was the 1200. The 1200 and the 1400 were designed around a parts commonality theme, to reduce costs. In construction and functioning, both the 1200 and the 1400 were practically identical except where modified, or componenets added, to operate the basic weapon's mechanism either manually via the pump or semiautomatically.
Also the 12 was a steel forging vs the aluminum receiver on the 1200.
Could it be that the 120 is actually a 25? That was a more economically viable version of the 12 that was produced after Winchester was looking into cost-reduction studies. Though looking through my reference, it was only made in field grade and riot gun. It was only produced from spring of 1949 until 1954.

Back