Winchester mod 88 should I buy it?

Shill

Inactive
I have a friend that has a mod 88 in 243 a 67 year model in perfect condition less than 20 rounds thru it, I love lever guns, but have a new tac driving 243 savage that is my primary gun, and I don't need any more guns but, it's a cherry I think it can be bought for 750 , any opinions will be appreciated

I have enough guns. I still have and use one I got new in 1957 and have handloaded since 1953.

I have a collection of pre-64 M70's.

I got a nice Winchester M88 recently for a lot less than that. Mine is a 308.

While they are a 'pre 64' they are not that wonderful. The 88 is only push feed but at least mine has real checkering.

If that model 88 really is in nice condition, "cherry" as you said, $750 would be a heck of a deal. Where I live that would be an easy $1000-1200 rifle. .243 is a great chambering for it too.

I admit that I do like lever action rifles, even modern ones like the Winchester model 88 and the Sako Finnwolf; I would pay $750 for it and never look back.

If you get it and end up not liking it you can surely trade it for something that you do like.

One of the worst triggers I have ever seen and even the gunsmiths don't want to mess with them. The ones I have shot were not very accurate even by hunting standards, though I have a friend who restocked his and now it shoots great. Most people who own them seem to love them. I'll take a Savage 99 instead.

QUOTE: "...If that model 88 really is in nice condition, "cherry" as you said, $750 would be a heck of a deal. Where I live that would be an easy $1000-1200 rifle. .243 is a great chambering for it too.

I admit that I do like lever action rifles, even modern ones like the Winchester model 88 and the Sako Finnwolf; I would pay $750 for it and never look back..."

I agree with damienph. In mint condition, almost any Model 88 would be a steal at $750.00; even those cursed with the stamped-on basket-weave "checkering" found on rifles made from 1964 to 1973, when production was halted.

I also agree with Rifletom in that you will probably have to accept a "mushy" trigger-pull with the Model 88; and it's almost impossible to improve the factory pull (due to the downside design of a trigger riding with the stroke of the lever; the accompanying upside being that the trigger travels with the lever ;)).

I find it ironical that rifles designed over sixty years ago are still described as "modern"-some even refer to the century old Savage Model 99 as modern. :) I guess a lever-action rifle having a concealed hammer (or "striker") will always be considered modern.

My brother nailed a minty one a few years ago in .308 Win for $600. Would I pay $750 for one in 243 Win? Absolutely! Simply because it is a rifle I have always liked beside the Savage 99. The irony is I see both as hunting rifles more so than target rifles and I haven't hunted in years. That has not stopped me from keeping all my hunting rifles. The Savage 99 and Winchester 88 just have a certain lure about them. :)

Ron

Thanks to all for info, I had no idea about trigger issue, I had a savage mod 99 in 300 savage and regret selling it, maybe I should look for one of them.

Win 88

The Win 88 was Winchesters last lever rifle. It has oft been described as a bolt rifle actuated by a lever. Its one piece stock was said to enhance accuracy. Yes indeed, the triggers can be mushy. It is likely the biggest criticism of the rifle. In these days of wonder bladed triggers, the 88's holds a dim candle.

But. There will be no more 88's, one reason alone to get one. Most all of them were lighter than advertised, so much so that the .308 and .358's had reputations as kickers. A .243 would be a dream to shoot. They carry well, point even better, and the trigger is no big issue at typical deer ranges. A repeat shot comes faster than a bolt if need ve. On top of that, I see them as extremely handsome rifles, very sleek and completely old school. Regards to accuracy, my experience has been that varying the tenison on the barrel bedding screw can have a direct effect on accuracy. Another trick is to shim the stock at the tip of the forearm, just ahead of the sling shackle. I used a slice of credit card on mine.

I've not seen that many in "cherry shape". Most I've encountered were hunted and show it. The post '64 era of your rifle makes it less valuable than the pre-64 rifles, but you are still talking about a relatively rare and very huntable rifle.

I inherited a 1953 Winchester 88(.308) in the spring. She is beat to hell and been hunted hard. Accuracy with all 150 gr projectiles I have tried with IMR 4064 has been above average. Cold bore shots are right on the money every time. Shots move predictably as the barrel heats. She ought to be a great deer rifle. I am a big fan and the recoil is really not that bad. The trigger is a bit mushy but not prohibitive to goes shooting like my stock 10/22 trigger. The rifle is light, handy and a good shooter. I did snap one up in good condition for that price if you want a hunting rifle.

My brother has one in .308. Fine shooter, and though a bit on the crisp side regarding recoil, it's still one beaut of a rifle to shoot. The action is as smooth as silk, too, as they all are from what I understand. It's been a while since I shot my bro's 88, but I can't recall anything awful about the trigger pull on his rifle as to what folks have been commenting on.

If I had the bucks for an 88, and already had a .243 as you stated, why wait? Scoop it up. Are you reloading? All the better all around with your Savage if you are.

Gotta scratch my head a bit as to how a CZ bolt gun using a Russian round figures into this thread on a "like new" American classic for a GREAT price. (?) Get the 88 and don't look back, and read post #4 again. Damienph has it right. GO FOR IT!

If procrastinating which to buy (88 or 99?) One draw back with the 88 non here have mentioned. Model 88 is clip fed and its original magazine/clips (best one's made) are no longer available. Finding a factory used 88 clip is {expensive} and a very rare find.

Savage 99 on the other hand has a self contained rotary spool that feeds its chamber.

"...I don't need any more guns..." HAHAHAHAHA. It's not a need. It's an "I want.".
"...are no longer available..." Um, it's a magazine and Gunparts wants $39.95 each for Winchester made mags. Same mag for .243 and .308.

I like lever rifles. I have a .243 BLR circa 1971. I don't like the trigger, but it's manageable.

I would love to have a Savage 99 but not much interest in a Win. 88.

acccuracy

Hey jersurf101,

My heirloom 88/.308 was guilty of vertical stringing as well, till I shimmed it up front as described above. It's no big deal to loosen the bedding screw a bit and slip a shim in there and retighten. If it works for your rifle, a drop of epoxy on the shim to hold it will make it a near permanent fix.

REgards bullet weights and accuracy. Winchester twisted its .308 barrels in the M88 1-12". That is a bit slow by todays standard of 1-10", and may be an explanation of why heavier bullets do not seem to group as tightly as lighter ones. My own M88 prefers 150 gr bullets as well. Plus, 180's seemed to recoil a bit more stiffly.

Thanks bamaranger. I will have to try that. My son is 13 and will be using the 88 as his deer rifle this year. I would like to tighten up the stringing. I appreciate the info.

Back