Winchester M94 30-30

baiwan

Inactive
When cleaning my gun I noticed that the grooves of the rifling are yellow,
that won't go out, all groves are even yellow, is this a problem and how can I solve it?
I keep my arms clean and oiled
It doesn't look like rust; oil doesn't make it darker - just like the groves are gold plated.
Thanks for the help.

A clean barrel is generally more accurate than a fouled barrel, but I'm talking in broad generalities here. Some of us find that a lightly fouled barrel is capable of very fine accuracy, and from the standpoint of a barrel being pristinely clean, that condition only holds for the first shot. After that first shot, the barrel is fouled. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just a condition to be aware of.

There are cleaners on the market that will take out the copper fouling. Look for Hoppe's Copper Solvent, just as an example. Another Example might be Sweet's solvent. Lots of folks make copper solvent. Follow the label directions and give the solvent time to work.

I would just juice it up good with Hoppies and let it set overnite. Then scrub it out well with a bore brush. I bet you pull some BLUE patches out of the bore. That will be the disolved copper deposits. Then patch it out and oil it up and your good to go.

Back