Winchester M70 manufacture

texgunner

Has the South Carolina plant closed? I have three M70s, a Sporter in 30-06, a Featherweight in 7mm-08 and an Extreme Weather SS in 308. The Sporter has Made in USA on the barrel, the FW says Made in USA, assembled in Portugal and the EW says Made in Portugal.

Order of acquisition was Sporter, FW, EW. What's become of the Winchester factory in SC?

The SC plant was/is FN's factory for military rifles and machine gun production. FN moved production there after they closed the New Haven factory. The Winchester rifles were taking up floor space and diverting attention away from the far more profitable military production.

I don't recall exactly when but several years ago they started shipping the parts to Portugal for assembly and shortly after that started full production in Portugal at another factory where they were already making Browning sporting arms.

The SC plant was/is FN's factory for military rifles and machine gun production. FN moved production there after they closed the New Haven factory. The Winchester rifles were taking up floor space and diverting attention away from the far more profitable military production.

I don't recall exactly when but several years ago they started shipping the parts to Portugal for assembly and shortly after that started full production in Portugal at another factory where they were already making Browning sporting arms

Well, that explains the different markings on my three rifles. Thanks for the reply.

There's a write up in the new Rifle Magazine about dates and plants and qualities of rifles made in these plants. Great read....

There is a required percentage or value needed to say "made in usa". I though the "assembled in portugal" did not cut muster and it had to be changed. I may be completely wrong, but I though the barrels were still coming from NC? Not sure it matters at this point, a piece here a piece there assembly in the other place.

I am extremely grateful we dont RemChesters, thank goodness for that much.

And while there was zero chance of ever seeing Model 92's or 85's come out of New Haven now those have legit WW versions. For what that that is worth, Japanese. I own some. Good quality products.

some of the SC featherweights (some in stainless) were beautiful

I did too. Needing another rifle like a hole in the head I bought one in .243. Don't think they have produced a stainless version since.

Back