Winchester M70 classic stainless

metro25

I have an unfired one, would it be cost effective to rebarrel and replace the stock with a Mcmillan A3? It's a .308 w/ boss system. Thanks in advance

I've been looking for one of these rifles since June! Just not the Boss model...

Although I personally don't care for the Boss because it takes a lot of fussing with and load testing, you should be able to tune it in for precise accuracy. The .308 is an inherently accurate cartridge...some say 1/2 MOA or bettr is possible. A great idea that didn't catch on (again).

The gun is probably wearing a stock very similar to a McMillan. I believe McMillan makes a Classic stock for Winchesters, but the A3 has a higher cheekpiece, right?

Therefore, it would not be cost effective to replace the barrel because you are unlikely to get a huge improvement in accuracy over the Boss barrel and it might be cost effective to replace the stock if it improves your cheek weld, off hand performance, and so on...

Should you find you are disgusted with the whole thing and want to sell it for cash so you can build a rifle like you really want, I hope you'll send me an email at d.m.bolger@worldnet.att.net

[This message has been edited by DeBee (edited October 29, 1999).]

DeBee, thanks for the info. I'm saving my dinero for a new A3 stock. It's my first bolt gun so the disgust factor has not set in yet. ;)

Back