Winchester M-70? Ranger?

RdKill

I just picked up a .30-06 bolt action off a local swap site. It was advertised as a Model 70 Ranger. It looks like a Model 70 Ranger...but didn't they say Model 70 somewhere on the receiver or barrel? If indeed it is a Model 70, the serial number dates it to 1975. (G 1758xxx). It was the economy model with the plain non-checkered stock and blind mag (no floor plate)...perfect for what I want it for (Brush Gun-bang around through the woods- deer rifle) NO WHERE on this rifle can I find a Model Number....Just "Ranger". I decided to give Redfield another go after just taking one back that didn't work. This time I got the one with the circle recticle. Bore sighting went well...both knobs work in both directions from one end to the other...whew.
WinRanger1.jpg

WinRanger2.jpg

WinRanger3.jpg

I had one of those in .270 for a while. Yes, it is a model 70 push feed. The only difference I found between the Ranger and the regular model 70 is the cheaper stock.

I don't know about the 30-06, but the .270 I had was picky about ammo weight. It would group really well with 130's but a magazine full of 150's looked liked someone shot off a round of buckshot. Try several brands and weights of ammo and see if you can find one that it really prefers.

Back