Winchester Low Wall in 38 special???

Grant 14

I have an old Winchester Low Wall that was originally in 25 20 SS. It is in pieces and I only have a couple of 22 rimfire barrels. The question is " Is the action strong enough to re-barrel to a 38 special?". I would have to have a 22 barrel re-lined to 357 but I dont think that would be a problem, I just dont know what chamber pressure the old Winchester would be safe with? Any Ideas? Grant.

I wouldn't mind .38 Special but not .357 Magnum.

Note. .357 Maximum WITH BLACK POWDER is pretty much a .35 Maynard. Dan Theodore went 'round and 'round with NRA on the authenticity of that one for BPCR shooting.

38 Special? Sure, no problem. 38 Special is an old cartridge, it operates in the BP pressure range, about 20,000 psi. Low Walls were originally chambered for small rifle cartridges and pistol cartridges (25-20, 32-20, 38-40, 44-40), all of them in about that same pressure range.

357 Magnum? No. it operates at 39,000 psi, about twice what the rifle was originally designed for.

I had originally wanted to do it in 25-35 to match my hunting rifle but the chamber pressure would be too high. My son and I both have 38s so that will make a nice combo. Any suggestions on where to send the barrel for re-lining? Thanks, Grant.

Back