Winchester color case hardening.

FoghornLeghorn

I'm interested in a Winchester 45-70 govt lever rifle current manufacture with color case hardening. However, I recently read somewhere on a gun forum (I can't remember which) that the case hardening on modern Winchesters is very, very poorly done and 1) looks bad and 2) doesn't last.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? Before I drop a couple grand on a 1886?

I have a Browning/Miroku Low Wall that is "case colored" and it's not really done by a heat/bone process. It's a chemical process. It looks a bit different than something like Turnbull uses, but it's still nice and I haven't seen any durability issues so far. Even the actual heat process will fade over time (a long time). Having each, I can't find much fault with the Miroku process....it still looks pretty nice.

The new Winchesters are every bit as good as the pre-64's if not better. I haven't heard anything bad about the color case hardening on either the Winchester or Brownings. What I think you're hearing is highly unqualified internet blather.

Another thing to consider on case coloring besides being rubbed off with heavy use, is the chemical make-up of your sweat. Some folks have really bad PH and can make it wear off even faster. A friend has a Kreighoff that is actually case colored hardened. He started wearing a glove when I told him I noticed the coloring getting badly worn where he held it.

Back