Winchester Collection

riceman44

I need some help from the board family. I had a death in the family and I'm the new owner of a small winchester collection. I'm having a little trouble finding out what model my Model 61 is. It is a round barrel but I'm not sure if it's the grooved receiver model. I'm more of a pistol guy, so I'm not well versed in what to look for. Are there markings on the receiver or serial number runs that the grooved receiver model was made in. There is also a model 63 that I'm trying to find out the same issue. I'm picking up the guns this weekend so I was wanting to get a jump start before hand. Any help would be great. Thanks...

EDIT - I meant to say "on each side of RECEIVER"

In a grooved receiver, there will be two slits, one on each side of receiver, to slide on scope rings. That came out in the 1950s IIRC.

check out www.proofhouse.com to see when your gun was made per SN.

Last edited:
The online serial numbers can be misleading sometimes, you might be better off to call the Cody Museum if you have several old Winchesters.

On Model 61s, I believe "grooved receiver" does not refer to tip-off scope grooves, rather it refers to the shot barrel receivers, which had a approximately 5/16" groove lengthwise on top of the receiver, matted on the inner surface. Since so few Model 61 smoothbores were made (and most were rebarreled by their owners so they could shoot regular ammo, the receivers alone are worth a couple of grand.

On Model 61s, I believe "grooved receiver" does not refer to tip-off scope grooves, rather it refers to the shot barrel receivers, which had a approximately 5/16" groove lengthwise on top of the receiver, matted on the inner surface. Since so few Model 61 smoothbores were made (and most were rebarreled by their owners so they could shoot regular ammo, the receivers alone are worth a couple of grand.

I am pretty sure it is for the tip off scope rings. Other models, such as the 69 and 72 had grooved receivers as well for scopes and all of these are worth a premium with a grooved receiver. I'm not sure what you mean regarding the smoothbore groove, but certainly, we are talking about two different things because there would not be a need to have scope grooves on a smoothbore 22.

Here is a pic of the grooved receiver, that is for scope mount / rings:

pix187214300.jpg

Back