Winchester checkering

jag2

Not sure if this is the right forum. I am looking at a Winchester model 61 that has checkering around the pistol grip and the seller is not sure if it is factory or not. Does anyone have a good closeup photo, I don't think it has to be a 61 but something similar that I could compare? Thanks. All suggestions are welcome.

In my decades of collecting these I have never seen a factory checkered model 61. Checkering tools were cheap and there are plenty of talented people out there. Pictures would be nice.

The rifle is listed on Guns Intl, their item number 100235488 if you want to look at it. I'm not sure I should "borrow" their picture. It looks nicely done and something not too elaborate, kind of what I would suspect from a factory design. If an individual commissioned it I would think it might be more elaborate, but just guessing. I've looked in a couple of Winchester books and they do list it as a factory option but none had any pictures.

If it's not factory it has the right characteristics for it. Narrow border outlining and 20 LPI. Very similar to that used on pre-64 model 70 rifles.

Winchester never offered checkering on the Model 61 as a either a standard feature or as a factory option. I suppose a Custom Shop Special Order was always a possibiliy - but that should "letter".

ALL Winchester "Deluxe" models, of whatever ilk, never went out the door w/o a pistol grip cap.

As .30-30remchester said: " Checkering tools were cheap and there are plenty of talented people out there."

It might even have been a Winchester factory worker (checkering dept), doing a litle "homework".

Last edited:
I like the gun. I might even pay that much for it and take it out and shoot it on sunny days.

However, although it could just be the pictures, the color and/or finish on the butt and forearm look different to me. I think I'd pass if it looked like that in person.

Back