Winchester bolt Model 7(?) not 70

elprofeloco

I recently saw a used Winchester bolt action (30-06) for sale.

I'm not that familiar with w. Winchesters, but the model no. info was obscured at the top rear of the barrel by scope mounts (did not see any info elsewhere on the barrel or receiver).

The tag had it marked as a "Model 7" (not 70) and the bolt and action were clearly different than most of the Win. Model 70s I've seen.

Can anyone tell me anything about this rifle (action, age, value, etc.)?

I'll take a shot, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

As I remember it, the Model 7s were introduced as an "economy" model of the Model 70. Much of the action was similar, if not identical, to the Model 70 produced at that time (different than pre-64 and today, not controlled round feed). The differences were that the Model 7s had a blind magazine, and the wood wasn't nearly as nice. I believe they were produced in the late 60s and early 70s. Also, I think they were only availalable in limited calibers, .270 and 30-06 are the only ones I ever recall seeing, if I'm remembering correctly.

dfaugh,
You are correct in your description, but I believe it was the Win model 670.

elpro,
I can't find anything on a Model 7. Were any of the numbers worn down?

Yeah, I remember the 670s, and there was also a similar 770 (I owned one in .270, bought it in 1971, my first centerfire)...But I still seem to recall the Model 7 as being pretty much the same thing, maybe made before or after the others(so I'm thinking my dates are probably wrong). Will check w/ my buddy who's a Winchester guru, has LOTS of books (and guns), although his stuff is mostly older, lever and pump gun stuff.

?

Thanks for the info thus far - this is a great website, lots of well informed and helpful folks.

I'll go by and take another look and see if I can peek at the markings obscured by the scope rings.

Assuming this a model 670, 7, or somthing similar: what kind of action does it have and how does that compare w. pre-64 and current Winch. Model 70 actions?

Any idea what it may be worth (this one I'd estimate to be in 80%-90% condition: good blueing and metal, no signs of undue wear, OK stock wood and wear, etc.)?

The 770 and 670 were lower-priced versions of the post-64 Model 70. The action was the same, IIRC, but the finishing and stock were downmarket, essentially the equivalent of an Express 870 compared to a Wingmaster. Price depends a lot on condition and the local market, but prices for just about everything Winchester seem to be up - although these would probably be later and slower to rise than other New Haven rifles.

The 770 and 670 were lower-priced versions of the post-64 Model 70.

Yes, and the difference was that they were not "CRF" (Controlled Round Feed), as the pre-64 actions (similar to a Mauser) were. However, my 770 was a decent, dependable gun. If you can't determine a "blue book" value, I would use the value of a Model 70, of similar age and condition, and then knock about $100-125 off (because of the lesser wood, and other missing
features.)

Were it me I'd expect to pay about $225-250 (w/o a scope) for one in the condition you describe. Once you get up around $300 or so there's alot of nice used guns out there, some which I would consider "better".

The most accurate 70 I've owned was a post-64, pre-USRAC push-feed Model 70 in .243. Love 'em or not, many were excellent shooters.

Back