Winchester ballistic silvertip

Deer hunter88

Has anyone ever removed the plastic tip from the winchester ballistic silvertips to convert them to hollow points? One of the employees at one of the local sporting good stores told me he was thinking about doing it, but wouldn't that cause the ammunition to shoot inaccurately?

Messing with a perfectly good thing is probably counter productive for the rounds instead use, but that's just an opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The tip is to keep the hollow point from being clogged by clothing and expand correctly. If you take it out it will shoot the same just may not expand as designed on impact.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#1 there's no need to remove the tip they will open up just fine with it in place.
#2 no, the tip doesn't do any significant extra damage

#3 small alterations of the bullet tip do not affect the accuracy. Changes to the bullet BASE do have an adverse effect on accuracy. Been tested and proven.

The bullet is already a hollowpoint. The plastic tip improves aerodynamics and is driven back into the hollowpoint on impact making it expand. Removing it would negate both benefits.

I've removed the tips from Nosler Ballistic Tips, which are the same bullet without the Lubalox treatment on the copper jacket.
And, I've cut and/or removed the tips from Hornady SSTs.
(I was doing it for cartridge overall length reasons, while experimenting with wildcat cartridges.)

It isn't worth the effort, and it is nearly impossible to always get all of the material out. ...Which means the bullets weigh different amounts, and groups open up.

Ballistic Tips are better than hollow points. Removing the tip is a waste of time.

AL22,

The tip on the ballistic tip/ silver tip. Is not to go through clothing. They are not defensive handgun bullets.

They merely increase aerodynamic efficency, and initiate expansion upon impact.

I tried those when they first came out. Never again. The moly coating did not allow for consistent velocity due to lack of case neck friction without crimping. The velocities were lower and they acted like FMJ. I used them once in a 30-06 for deer. Compared to standard NBT's they also showed lackluster accuracy in my gun.

#1 there's no need to remove the tip they will open up just fine with it in place.
#2 no, the tip doesn't do any significant extra damage

#3 small alterations of the bullet tip do not affect the accuracy. Changes to the bullet BASE do have an adverse effect on accuracy. Been tested and proven.

This plus what Frankenmauser said.... most of the rest is just opinion or speculation.

I will add, you can deform the tips of led, or polymer tip bullets and probably won't notice any difference until way way down range....like 500 yards plus.
But like 44 AMP said, ama small deformation of the base and you will notice quickly on paper.

That doesn't make a BT/ST an HP. HP jackets are designed to open up upon impact. BT/ST bullets are designed for controlled expansion. The black oxide on 'em is just decoration. Black oxide is literally the same thing as Parkerizing but uses different chemicals.
HP's do not get filled with clothing.
Cutting the point off a milsurp FMJ doesn't make it an expanding SP hunting bullet either.
Winchester never should have discontinued the original Silvertips.

T.O'Heir,
Olin still runs the "real" Silvertips every few years, at least for the most popular cartridges.
We should be due for .30-06 and .270 Win Silvertips this year, I would say, since the last runs were two years ago.

Winchester never should have discontinued the original Silvertips.
I concur.
Olin still runs the "real" Silvertips every few years, at least for the most popular cartridges.
We should be due for .30-06 and .270 Win Silvertips this year, I would say, since the last runs were two years ago.
I shall look for them. I wish they would offer the bullets for those that prefer to reload. Hopefully we may see the return of 170 grain Silvertips in 30-30 as well.
"Ya gotta have Silvertips.....".

I haven't seen the Silvertips as a component bullet for quite some time. (Decades.)
But... Remington, at least until 2008, still ran Bronze Points every 3-5 years in .277" and .308".
If you've messed with them and liked them, they may return. ...Maybe. ...Eventually. ...If Remington every recognizes reloaders again. :rolleyes:

When some other speaks of silver tips I immediately think of the original metal soft point Winchesters. A good bullet second to none.

The way these modern new bullets are made I highly doubt such tips are removable without wrecking the bullets tip.

Back