Winchester Apex Magnum

tdeater

Inactive
I have a Winchester Apex Magnum, and am considering installing the VariFlame Primer adapter system produced by The accurate muzle loading Company. This system uses a 209 type primer sleve, seated with large rifle primers.

Has anyone used this?

209 adapter

I,ve been shooting 777 pellets and Federal 209 caps,shoots great,but trying to load the next several shots are not easy.There is a crusty ring in the barrel about 1 inch above where the first load was at.Everything I've read blames this on the 209 pushing the load up the barrel before the powder ignites.

Winchester came out with the triple seven caps that are supposed to solve this problem,they are not to be as strong ,so the load is not pushed before iginition.When I tried them I noticed a slower ignition which can affect accurracy.

I care more about shot placement than the easy cleaning of 777. At this point I think I will go back to Pyrodex Pellets which seems to ignite easier,and try the adapter for the rifle primer.I expect the rifle primer to slow the ignition of 777 because of less power like the Winchester primers.

I don't want to push Pyrodex Pellets up the barrel either,which can't be good for accuracy,so I want to try the rifle primer for these pellets also.Looks like it is time to order one and do some experimenting to find the results.

The information I have read was exactually what you are sying. The 209 pushes the pellets up the barrel, and they suggest going to loose powder and a smaller primer.

Back