Winchester 9mm NATO ammunition

Seven High

Is anyone having issues with extraction of Winchester 9mm NATO ammo? It appears to me that the groove at the back of the casing is not deep enough for an extractor to grab it reliably. I have compared it to Federal and there seems to be quite a difference.

I've used thousands of rounds of the Winchester 124 grain NATO over the last 20 years or so in a variety of semi-auto firearms. Functions flawlessly.

You certainly could have received some out of spec ammo. I can only say that I've never experienced any out of spec indications in shooting this ammo, or using the cases for reloading...

??????

I'm missing something. Are you stating the ammo is not functioning properly in your pistol, or that the NATO ammo extractor groove simply does not appear the same as the Federal groove and you SUSPECT it may not function properly.

I've seen quite a bit (say 50,000 rds) of W-W NATO ball shot through Glock 17/34 (personally owned) and SIG P225, P226, and P228 (issued to officers) with no problem.

I have a bunch of this NATO stuff. It's my favorite, and I've never had any issues with it. I shoot it in a P-01 with the NATO stock number, and in a Shadow 2.

Have you had problems? Or are you worried about the POSSIBILITY of a problem? Winchester 124 NATO works perfectly at my place.various pistols and a Colt 6951 all devour the stuff.

9mm NATO is good for stocking up for long term storage, go to war ammo SHTF

it has sealed crimped primers for reliability , long term storage

Once upon a time, NATO 9mm was tested in an 8" Beretta SMG. Which would inflate the velocity reading considerably. A 124 at 1200 from a pistol is pretty stout.

Jim Watson said:
Once upon a time, NATO 9mm was tested in an 8" Beretta SMG. Which would inflate the velocity reading considerably. A 124 at 1200 from a pistol is pretty stout.
Yes, for NATO. For military purposes. For civilian, commercial ammunition (which is what we would be comparing to), the usual standard seems to be a 4-inch barrel for 9mm handgun ammo.

attachment.php

Attachments

• SAAMI_9mm.JPG
    SAAMI_9mm.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 166
Yes, 9mm ballistics are commonly quoted for a 4" barrel. Others, like 38 Super for instance, from a 5" barrel. One reason why the Super may appear to be much more powerful than 9MM. When both are tested in 5" barrels, the assumed superiority of 38 Super over 9mm is not always consistent with reality.

In any case, some actual chronographed velocities for the Winchester Q4318 124 grain NATO ammo:

4" Bbl. = 1165 FPS
5" Bbl. = 1214 FPS
5.9" Bbl.= 1244 FPS
16" Bbl. = 1319 FPS

2" revolver = 1079 FPS
3" revolver = 1169 FPS

FWIW the IMI 124 NATO averages 3-5% faster in my guns.

Back