Winchester 97 choke tubes

JoeM

Inactive
would it be possible to have an internal choke tube installed on a winchester model 97 12ga? Can most gun smiths do that job? Would it matter if the barrel had been shortened? Thanks in advance.

If the '97 is in any kind of good condition, it has more value as a collector's item than as a hunting gun. Something to consider.

I don't know about most gunsmiths, but there are many who can install those tubes and I don't know any reason why they can't be installed on a '97.

George??

Jim

Joe, there is no reason that tubes couln't be installed in your 97. Actually I prefer putting them in older guns. There is usually more meat in the barrel walls. And as far as the barrel being shortened, that normally translates into even greater wall thickness so it doesn't hurt a thing. Any competent smith with the proper tooling should be able to do this for you. The tooling is expensive and a lot of smiths would sooner farm it out than buy the equipment. If you can't find anyone near you, e-mail me. I'd be happy to do it for you. George

Back