Winchester 94AE production year

bspillman

I know the AE came out in the 80s but can anyone tell me what year for sure. The serial number is 5506910. It also doesn't have a safety on it. Thanks.

Per the book authored by Robert C. Renneberg, Winchester Model 94, A Century of Craftsmanship, the Model 94 "Angle Eject" (Known as the Sixth Model, 6A), was introduced in 1983 at around serial number 5,300,000. Later variations of the AE were dubbed Sixth Model, 6B (Angle Eject with Button Safety) and Sixth Model, 6C (Angle Eject with Tang Safety).

One source I have says the Angle Eject became standard in 1984, so production probably started in 1983 as stated above. According to the 1982 Winchester catalog, model 94s were still top eject at that point. The next catalog I have is 1989, which shows model 94s with angle eject, but no cross bolt safety yet.

The serial number indicates a probable production year of 1988.

I have an 1985 Mod 94 A/E. The safety is what is called a "rebounding" safety. Look that up, as I don't want to try to explain and have it come out wrong. But, that is what Winchester calls it.

Back