Winchester 9422

Youngshooter

I'm a new poster here, hello to all. I recently have gotten into learning some small gun smithing things through a few of the rifles I have. Well cutting to the chase now, I did some searching just out of my 19 year old curiosity to see the history behind my baby, my Winchester Model 9422 in .22LR. From what I have gathered it's a fairly older model, 1977 or 1978. Just hoping to gain a little more light on what it might be from you more experienced forum attendees. Thanks a bunch!

Nothing some net surfing won't tell you, but here's a synopsis: the 9422 is no longer mfg's and is considered a top end .22 rifle. HIgh quality materials and attentin paid to assembly and finishing. They are desireable collectors and even average examples bring high prices, 400-500$ not unusual. There were models chambered .22 mag as well.

AFAIK, it'll take a few pics of the gun to determine exactly what model you have, a Standard or an XTR (most XTR's are so marked on the bbl and/or buttplate, and some are checkered).

The SN might help pin down the DOM, if you haven't already done so - since the rifles were in production from 1972 to 1997, after which the 9422 became the 9422 Legacy until discontinuation in 2004 (IIRC).

I have done everything except contact Winchester themselves, but have looked at a few SN datasheets, none being exact enough for me to be positive. I have the glossed finish on my furniture which I believe was the earlier model?

go to rimfirecentral.com,scrolldown to the winchester thread,the second sticky on this thread is model 9422 manufacture dates

Back