Winchester 94 Trigger

Tom B

Fired my model 94 yesterday and was impressed with the accuracy. Very heavy trigger however. Will the trigger smooth and lighten with use? If not can someone give me the name of a Smith who does good work on triggers for this rifle?

Tom B.

I forgot what the factory trigger pull on a Winnie 94 is, but they did get heavy. Call this a "Lawyer Pull". I believe that many trigger pulls have gotten heavier because of the fear of law suites from morons who mishandle firearms.

Most good smiths can smooth up the acton on your rifle. These rifles are actually very simple. For the most part, the trigger group simply needs to be smoothed and hard edges broken to ease up the pull. I had a local smith do an action job on my '94s and now they operate as smooth as glass.

Also, you may want to repost this to the TFL's Smithy list. I'm sure that you will get a bunch of responses.

------------------
Joe Portale
Sonoran Sidewinder
Tucson, Arizona territory

I've had two done recently here in N. Texas, one with a pre-64 and one with a brand-new .45 Trapper. I didn't know the 'smith personally, so I didn't get any special deals-- he just gave me back rifles with (respectively) 2 and 4 lb triggers, felt like glass rods breaking, for only $35. This seems to be the going rate, and he didn't express any dismay about doing them (works out of a popular local gunshop).

Having the trigger worked on and putting better sights on a M-94 makes it about 3X more useable for me, personally. I would gladly pay the extra $80 to get them that way from the factory, but since I can't... it's not a huge deal to have it done myself.

While it's in the shop, you might, depending on the specimen you've got, have the 'smith give your rifle an "action job," which usually just entails slicking the action up a bit by putting some rouge on the working surfaces and working the action until it's smooth, then cleaning off the rouge and applying some lube to the action. Sometimes some careful internal deburring with a file or some stones gets done here. These usually cost $20 or less. Often are about $15, and sometimes are basically part and parcel with the trigger job, although they are actually completely different jobs.

Regards,

L.P.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

Joe and Tom. Talk about lawyer-proof triggers. I have a Model 94 made in 1910. You won't believe how heavy the trigger pull is on that one. Over 10 pounds. Belonged to my Great-grandfather. He gave it to my Grandfather, who gave it to my Dad who gave it to me. I consider the gun priceless. :)
I have a thing for the 30-30 Winchester anyway. I killed my first deer at age 11 with that old rifle. I'm 61 now. Probably 80 percent of the deer I have killed, have been with the 94 in 30-30.
I have since owned more than one Model 94. I love 'em.
If you go to (www.earp.com/30-30.html), there is a darn good article on the 30-30 Win. and model 94.
I shoot cast lead almost exclusively in the 30-30 anymore. Anything a jacketed bullet can do, a good cast bullet can do as well.
Right now, I am working on a 190 gr. cast bullet load to duplicate the old .303 Savage. Many old timers that I have talked to, say it was a much better killer than the 30-30. It shot a 190 gr. bullet at around 1950 FPS. They said that penetration was much better on heavy bodied deer and elk.
Using Lyman bullets, #311291 and 31141 (now 311041)(165 to 175 gr.) cast of old style wheel weights, these cast bullets would punch through a deers shoulder blade like a hot knife through butter. New wheel weights do not have the antimony and tin content of the ones made before the early 1970's. With the new stuff, 10 pounds WW and 1 pound linotype makes a good alloy as is. This will give a hardness of about 10 to 12 on the Brinnel scale (BHN) and will heat treat to about 20 to 24 hardness on the BHN scale.
If you want to try a really great 30-30 Win., try and locate an original model 64 Winchester. This is an upscale version of the model 94. Came in two lengths, rifle and carbine. I like the rifle.
For what it is worth, I feed and care for 7 30-30 rifles, all Winchesters of one sort or another, except for one lonely Marlin. All 94's, except for a 64 and 54. The 54 is a relatively rare bolt action. The best shooter of the bunch? The 1910, model 94. Go figure. I just got a rifle (26" barrel) and haven't had time to play with it yet. Been busy getting ready for hunting season, elk and deer both.
Enjoy your 30-30. It is one of the great ones.
Paul B.

Tom B,

You asked for my impress of the Winniw 94. All I can say is that I love them. I have shot Marlins and Remingtons, but the 94 fits me well. I have several 94s. One is in 30/30 (God's caliber as far as I'm concerned), one that i use for CAS shooting in .357 and a Trapper in .45 Long Colt. Contrary to what some others may say, these rifles are accurate and can take a beating. My buddy swears by his Marlins, but they have been in the shop many times. The only time my 94s ever saw the gunsmith was when I had the actions smoothed up a bit.

Paul B. I'm going to contact you off the list. I'm interested in your work with casting 30/30. I don't cast right now due to time constraints, but I've been thinking about it. I have a bunch of questions.

------------------
Joe Portale
Sonoran Sidewinder
Tucson, Arizona territory

Joe. I don't mind. It's all a learning process. I came across a great article on "Favorite Cast Loads" by Paco Kelly at (www.sixgunner.com/paco/favorite.htm)
One of the things I have serious interest in, is hunting with cast bullets. Actually, I have dinked around with that for years, but so far my only successes have been with the 30-30.
I agree with you on the Winny 94 though. The Marlin 336 feels like a club in my small hands. One of these days I plan to whittle that stock down to something more to my liking. I did that to a marlin 95 in 45-70 and it feels a lot better to me.
There is a guy, out of Denver, who sells reloading components, that shows up at the gun shows. He was at the last one at the TCC, and he said he would probably be at the one coming up at the fair grounds. He had some cast bullets that looked a lot like Lyman's #311041, and they were of a hard alloy. I thought about getting some come the next show, if he still has any. I don't know who cast them, but they looked pretty good. You might want to look into them.
Paul B.

Hi guys,

The Winchester 94 trigger can come down quite a bit from the factory pull weight. But remember that, like any rifle that uses a half-cock notch, there has to be enough weight of pull to ensure that the sear clears the half-cock notch as the hammer falls.

There is a way to put a single stage trigger on a 94, also, which eliminates the trigger flopping around.

A major problem today is that gunsmiths are getting as afraid of lawyers as the gun companies. Some will not even talk about trigger work for fear of being sued for giving somebody evil ideas.

Jim

Back