winchester 94 klondike gold rush commerative

Ronaldb

Inactive
I am considering putting my 20" barrel with saddle ring,never fired model 94 up for sale. I bought it about 25 years ago there is no box and no ammo lots of etching both sides ie. The Great Gold Strike 1896 ,BONANZA.ELDERADO.HUNKER CREEK, there is a medallion embeded in the stock . the only imperfection that I see is where the gold butt was in contact with the metal foor of my gun cabinet (probably could be rubbed out).
I would appreciate help with two questions
#1.Is there a market demand for this gun if so what would be a realistic asking price?
#2 The gold metal what is it, plating or some kind of alloy?

Ron,
1st off... Welcome to TFL

Klondike, eh? Approx 10,500 made (so I read online) Market demand & value? Dunno. There's one on gunsamerica w/ box, asking price $1K, which seems the norm asking price w/ everything included.

Gold plated.

Might have some demand from someone in Canada or Alaska or family members whose great grandpa was there during the "rush"... but I has my doubts.

Winchester made a whole heck of a lot of commemoratives. Lever actions aren't as cool now as they were back in the day, and pimpalicious golden guns attract a certain crowd only (Having said that, I have my Dad's old 66 Centennial, box, papers etc he paid $125 back in 66, and I doubt I could get $400-500 for it pristine, realistically. Not that I'd sell it.)

Not much help, I know.

Baba thanks for the leads. The one in gunsamerica is quite different than mine as mine has a fully plated reciever, butt plate and both bands. It so happens that I live in Canada and have a chum whose great great uncle went out to the Klondike gold rush. Once I decide on a fair price, you are right, there may be some local interest.

It so happens that I live in Canada and have a chum whose great great uncle went out to the Klondike gold rush. Once I decide on a fair price, you are right, there may be some local interest.
Well there ya go Ronald. Who knew? :D

If your friend is a GOOD friend, perhaps your pricing might reflect that. Factor in inflation based on what you paid years back, see what kinda value that is (I haven't a clue about such things) and talk it up with him. Might find a buyer. OR if you're really good at sales pitch and closing the deal, make a buyer outta him (or others) for his families sake. ;)

Or maybe he has something to trade or throw in to boot?

FWIW, on the open market, any such Winchester commemorative w/o the box/sleeve & papers, and with handling/safe marks are considered "shooters" for pricing - IOW, worth what any other post-64 Winchester 94 in equivalent condition would be worth, generally less then $500.

Back