Winchester 94 hammer question

spawndn72

I have an older model 94 that the serrations on the hammer have been worn down. Can I take a file to them to sharpen them back up, or will this harm the hammer?

Depending on file size used it may harm the hammers appearance. Without question filing the hammer will harm the rifles selling/ collector's value. No doubt about that.

Honestly, if you want serrations I’d buy a replacement hammer, and throw the old one in a ziplock and keep it in the safe. If you ever want to sell the rifle you have the original hammer with it.

The rifle is never getting sold. This is a hunting rifle that shows it's age. I bought it that way to have a gun I liked that I would not feel bad about knocking around in the woods.

"...collector's value..." It'd have to be a 100 year old or older M94 to have any collector value. Old hunting "service" M94's have no collector value.
You can file it if you want. It won't hurt anything. Suggest jeweler's files. One of the wee, fine, triangular files sometimes seen at gun shows as "gunsmith's" files.
A new hammer will require fitting by a smithy. Gunparts wants $38.95 for a Post 64 Angle Eject Series hammer. Says "Not Drilled" Dunno what that means.

All pre-1964 versions of this model have some extra retained value, even if only for parts, due to condition.
At some point, in the last half of the 1940's, the hammer was changed from checkered to serrated, around 1948, I believe. Close to the time that the forearm was shortened, which I think happened just prior to 1950.
If your model 94 is a pre-64 version, I suggest that you leave the hammer in its worn condition. Honest wear detracts much less value than nearly all attempts at restoration, like reblueing, etc. Exceptions, perhaps, would be a rifle returned to the Winchester factory for a re-blue or other alterations. Another exception might be a restoration done by Turnbull, due to a well known reputation.

Considering how old a model 94 can be I probably should not have said "older'
It was made in 1973; it has no collectors value. I like the uncle mike's hammer extension suggestion though. I will probably go that direction.

Thanks all.

Back