winchester 94 big bore 444 estimated value?

mo84

A friend of my dads (more like family than a friend) has a winchester 94 ea or ae I forget, big bore 444 for sale. The problem is he is having a hard time finding out what the value of it is. He said he bought it about 7 years ago and it has a ported barrel. He literally shot it 4 times and put it away and it is in 100% condition. Beautiful wood on it. If someone might have a good idea of what it's worth would be great as he does not want to rip me off or low ball himself. We were thinking about $700 but that is just a guess. Thanks alot. If there is anymore info needed let me know.

That is pretty close to right in September or October. Must be a Timber Carbine if it has a ported barrel...great little gun capable of 3200+ fe at the muzzle with store bought ammo and will shoot .44 Mags in a pinch.

Five years ago, before the economy went south, the TC '94's were going north of $1k

It seems like a really great rifle. We agreed on $650 and two boxes of bullets he had for it. I'll be picking it up tomorrow and shooting it sunday. I can not wait.

mine is louder than a lottery loser,but its easy to carry and has all the power you will ever need hunting here. eastbank.

Attachments

• Picture 1434.jpg
    Picture 1434.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 147
  • Picture 1435.jpg
    Picture 1435.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Picture 1436.jpg
    Picture 1436.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 94
well I picked it up today. I will be taking it out tomorrow to have some fun with it. Here is a pic from my phone of it.:D

Attachments

• 444.jpg
    444.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 146
The winchester 444 shot great and was super accurate. The gun doesn't kick as hard as you would think, the porting probably helps alot. probably like a 20 gage or so in compairison. 2 liters filled with water makes for a very fun target. the 444 were blowing them up better then my 500 does:D here is whats left of the spinning targets we were shooting. the hole on the left side of the smaller target is from the 500 mag (700 gr bullet) the rest were from the 444. this gun is well worth the money. here is a pic of my brother and one of everything we brought today, gotta love unregulater ranges

Attachments

• everything we shot.jpg
    everything we shot.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 102
  • sid holding both targets.jpg
    sid holding both targets.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 110
Quote:
and will shoot .44 Mags in a pinch.

No, it will not. It is chambered for 444 Marlin, and firing anything else in it will damage the firearm.

Yes, it will. Do a little back ground as to it's ability before flying off the handle. Best to start at www.leverguns.com in the article section.

Would shooting .44 Mags out of a .444 chambering eventually cause issues, most certainly. Number one would be premature throat wear, but "in a pinch" it is better than nothing.

And of course I would not do it unless it was the only option.

Do a little back ground as to it's ability before flying off the handle. Best to start at www.leverguns.com in the article section.
To be quite frank (perhaps blunt is a better word), as a smith I get these sorts of statements from people all the time. Yes, if chambered, a 44 Magnum cartridge will fire in a 444 Marlin chamber. It will likely split the case, due to the .020" difference in case head diameter, and may blow high-pressure gas back at the shooter. If you try to feed it through the action, you will lock up the action immediately. Then you will be standing on the other side of the counter from a smith trying to convince them either that your brother-in-law told you it works, or that your brother-in-law did it.
Do a little back ground as to it's ability before flying off the handle.
I didn't fly off the handle. Flying off the handle would have sounded like "What an idiot for giving advice like that! Don't you know you could get someone hurt?" I didn't even imply that, I simply said it will not work, and could damage the firearm.

And don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Yeah. Somebody wanted me to convert a .35 Marlin to a .358 Winchester because he read about doing it in a magazine article. I asked him, "If it is such a great idea, don't you think it would have been done the same year the .358 came out?". You can shoot .22's in a .22 Magnum in a pinch also. I have seen the result of that. You have to be careful what you post here, some of these people are fledgling gun owners and will try it.

Back