Winchester 94, 30-30

kilotanker22

Picked up a Winchester model 94 in 30-30 this morning. Manufactured in 1955. Been trying to get my hands on one of these guns for awhile now. The metal needs to be refinished. It appears as though someone tried to refinish it in the past and goofed it up. Would really like to keep it original, but the metal definitely needs to be redone. Should make for a nice project.

refinish

A 1955 model should rebound nicely. Later models had some type of steel alloy that supposedly would not refinish well. I miss not having a M94, over the years traded away 2, both bought for right around $100........

I have had several Model 94 Winchesters, but all were post '64. A year or so ago I scored a 1955 Model 94 (same as yours) for $500. It's in nice, but not unfired condition so it is the perfect specimen for me as I have no problem taking it out and running some ammo through it. I might add that it is a great shooter and I am quite happy with it.

I am sure that you will enjoy yours once you get it finished.

IMG_9868_Fotor-XL.jpg

IMG_9872_Fotor-XL.jpg

I had a Winchester 30-30 94 manufactured and purchased new in 1976 that shot a couple of inches to the side of the aim point at 100 yards-- even with the rear sight set all the way over for windage. Never could figure out what the problem was. Eventually sold it :-(

I am now considering refinishing it other than how it was originally. I am thinking I will brown the barrel and magazine tube. Then case color harden the receiver.

Now if I could just find some ammo or brass for the 30-30. Not really wanting to pay $1 a piece for SIG brass.
I've bought a fair amount of 30-30 directly from Federal, at the most reasonable price I've seen anywhere lately. I just checked and they're currently out of stock, but sign up for their back in stock notification and you may get lucky before you know it. That's what I did. Here's the link: https://www.federalpremium.com/rifl...l=4589_HTML&u=18871342&mid=524002336&jb=16701

Frank

How bad is it that you would want to refinish it? Can you share a picture or two?
I can probably get some photos tomorrow after work. There is some pitting on the outside of the barrel near the muzzle, it is quite deep. You can also see where someone tried to repair it in the past, or at least covered it with some cold bluing.

I purchased it knowing about the damage, intending to repair it, as a project. Originally I wanted to simply restore it, but I am considering a few other ideas. Browning the barrel and color case hardening the receiver are things I can do with the tools and space that I have. I do not intend to hire a smith to do this job. PLus I think browning and case hardening would look really nice on a model 94, and I don't believe it to be that far fetched for the time period when the model 94 was being designed by John Browning. Keeping it as it was from the factory does not concern me as much as relative to the time period/style. This gun will never be sold as long as I am alive anyway, so I am not too concerned with the value of the firearm.

Bear in mind that the Pre64 Winchesters have a barrel steel that has a high chrome content. It's more like stainless steel than regular barrel steel. I have an early one made in 1911. Came from my Great grandfather to my Grandfather to my dad, then to me. Someone in the past probably used steel wool to lean off a rust spot and the metal is shiny. It's a patch about 3" long near the muzzle. Over the years I've tried several versions of cold blue and in a few months to a year they've all faded away. My gunsmith is a good one and he won't even try.
Dunno if browning will work, It, like real bluing is I believe a rust process. Some Cerakote colors come quite close to looking like bluing so that might be an option.

Someone said something about the Post 64s receivers being hard to reblue. They're made of sintered metal IIRC and they first have to be plated with again IIRC, copper or maybe it was iron. It's been a few years since I bothered with such stuff. One option though; my son in law got a post 64 M94 30-30 that was speckled with rust all over the receiver. He took very fine black sandpaper and removed all the rust and blue to bare metal. A bit high maintenance but is damn good looking. Maybe a good degreasing and a coat of clear coat would work.
Paul B.

I guess I will find out if Browning will work. It is a rust process. Essentially, after degreasing you heat the steel up to a predetermined temperature. Then apply the Browning agent. The steel will rust immediately. You then card the steel after every coat of the Browning process until you are satisfied with the color and shade. Use some sort of base to neutralize the acid, polish and oil. Let it cure for a few days to make sure you neutralized the acid then clean it for assembly.

A gunsmith friend of mine said the post 64 pre USRAC receivers were "iron washed" to accept blueing. One of the biggest mistakes I ever made, and I've made a few ;) was to try and re-blue my 80's vintage 94.
Looked like something that survived an atomic blast.
Couldn't sleep at night until I got rid of it.

The answer you are all looking for, for "post-64s":
Cast or sintered graphitic steel (depending on the source). Copper and then iron plated, to accept bluing.
When that turned out to be a bad idea, rather quickly, they went to black chrome

Bad plating is why you see so many with what appears to be "flaking", bubbling, or cracking bluing. Because it is.

As of a few years ago, there was a company in Texas offering re-plating and rebluing of the receivers. But it isn't an easy or quick job, and the cost was greater than that of a rifle with good bluing.

Du-Lite offers chemicals for refinishing post-64s that don't need to be replated.

Later models had some type of steel alloy that supposedly would not refinish well.
Someone said something about the Post 64s receivers being hard to reblue. They're made of sintered metal IIRC and they first have to be plated with again IIRC, copper or maybe it was iron.
A gunsmith friend of mine said the post 64 pre USRAC receivers were "iron washed" to accept blueing.
USRAC receivers are not graphitic steel and refinish with normal processes.

While replating the receiver may work, rust bluing works just fine. Replating a receiver may cost you $400, but rust blue is cheap. I do this all the time with customers' 94s that they want refinished.

"USRAC receivers are not graphitic steel and refinish with normal processes."

Yes, this was my point, not explained very well I'm afraid ;)
In my opinion, USRAC 94's and M70's are very underrated.
The 94's are as good as any pre 64 I have ever owned or handled.
Along with having a forged receiver, they were also offered in some real thumper calibers that allowed correct mounting of a scope.

If it was mine, I would not refinish it. Remove the wood and degrease the metal with alcohol or acetone. When it dries, use a toothbrush to apply johnson's paste wax to all the metal surfaces. This will prevent rust and show off the original wear.

Back