Winchester 94 30-30

How accurate is yours?

I DON'T KNOW!!! And it's breaking my heart! I've had the thing about a month and haven't had a chance to get it to the range yet. They are not known for being tack drivers as a general rule, If you get anywhere close to 2" at 100yds, you're doing very good (with standard factory ammo).

My last one did pretty fair (2.5") with Federal 150gr, slightly worse with Fed 125's, and never got better than 3.5" with anybody's 170gr ammo I tried.

Reading about the .30-30 in the 94 for forty years or so, I find the usual anecdotal comment is 2-3 MOA, and that is nearly always pronounced to be "good enough for hunting." Now and then some lucky one will say his does 1.5 MOA. My own Model 94 AE with a 24 in barrel puts 150-grain factory ammo in 3.5 MOA, but likes 170-grainers better, giving about 2.00 on average and 1.5" groups at 100 yards fairly frequently. By the way, the Hornady LE ammo with the 160-grain bullet has a lot of potential for accuracy and is worth trying in your lever action.

Like any other gun, many 94s can prefer a certain brand or weight load/bullet. The guns can be tuned a bit also, mostly simple things. There's some info on the leverguns forum in the article section.

I've had a couple 94's that shot a group under an inch for 3 shots. They may not do it every time, but did when I put them on paper those particular days. 2" seems about average.

Don't think I've ever had a 94 that wouldn't do two MOA.

Most have been closer to 1 MOA,...

Marks94tgt.jpg

Some scary accurate.

110307group94AE.jpg

Good ammo is essential and I have yet to meet the 94 that doesn't like Sierra's 150 grain Pro-Hunter with Hodgdon's 4895.

I spent last weekend shooting mine. With the stock open sights I was busting pop cans at 125 yards every shot using federal classic 150gr shells.

How much better than that do you need.

Bench rested at 100 yard target, with my Bushnell fixed 4x power, I can shoot 4 leaf clovers within the Bulls eyes. Frequently, I can overlap and touch a group, consisting of 4 shots.

I remember reading when I purchased the rifle, that it boasted having micro groove rifling... seems to work very well.

Back