Winchester 700

f3hp123

Inactive
Could someone tell me, for Winchester model 700, why is it that 30-06 and 7mm Magnum calibre much cheaper than .308 winchester? I thought generally 30-06 and 7mm Magnum are slightly more powerful than .308?

I believe you are referring to a winchester model 70, not a 700.

You may be looking at slightly different variations of the rifle, which would easily explain the price difference.

I am not familiar with the winchester model 700. Do you mean the model 70 or are you looking at the Remington model 700. Dosen't matter really.:)
The price tag on the rifle has nothing to do with the power of the cartridge it is chambered in, for the most part. The cost increases because that particular model has some feature that is more costly to build. ie; better barrel, stock or trigger. Look at the entire model # or name it will likely have a few numbers or letters that are different to show that it has these design features. It sounds like you are looking at 2 completely different models. You can look up the gun manufacturers website to compare the different model designations and the features that each one has.

There is no reason identical rifles in those calibers should not be priced the same. If you are looking at slightly different models the 308 could be more expensive. For example a Winchester Featherweight in 30-06 will be priced less than a Super Grade in 308.

This is the second time in so many weeks someone called the Winchester M-70 a Model 700.

Good thing my Winchesters can't read, they'd be POed.

My FN Winchester Model 70 Featherweight is the 2008 Limited Addition version. It was a bit more pricey then the other Model 70s in the store at the time but its well worth the extra cost to me.

The wood is almost a perfect match to my 257 Roberts Featherweight.

You are comparing 2 very different rifles. The Coyote Lite has a stanless target barrel and a much more expensive stock on it.

The Ultimate Shadow has a standard hunting grade blued barrel in a cheap plastic stock.

The Coyote Lite is much more expensive because it is a much more expensive rifle. It hs nothing to do with the chamberings.

As others have indicated, you must be comparing apples and oranges. They were correct. You are looking at the less expensive rifle with a standard sythetic stock and blued barrel vs. a more expensive rifle with a nicer stock and a stainless steel barrel. There could be other significant differences between the two rifles.

They're two different rifles.

The first is a base-line model. Blue barrel, standard composite stock, (probably a Hogue), sporter weight barrel. It's still a fine rifle, but it's a baseline model.

The second is set up as an semi-varmint rig. It's got a medium weight fluted, stainless barrel with a Bell & Carlson stock. The specs say that the stock has an aluminum bedding block, so the stock alone is probably worth an additional $250.00. It's got those really cool vents in the forearm that everyone wants and flutes in the barrel that make it extra-special accurate.

OK, Thank you guys. I assume the expensive stock and barrel only make it more durable and maybe better looking, has little to do with accuracy?

I wonder why they don't produce a cheaper, entry level .308? Since .308 ammo is much cheaper than 7mm Magnum, doesn't is make sense to pair a cheaper gun with the cheaper ammo?

check the winchester site, they do make a cheaper entry level .308 rifles. the .308 shadow is msrp'd at $50 cheaper than the 7mm mag. cheaper than dirt just might not carry every varriant of the model 70. shop around, other retailers will have them

I wonder why they don't produce a cheaper, entry level .308? Since .308 ammo is much cheaper than 7mm Magnum, doesn't is make sense to pair a cheaper gun with the cheaper ammo?

They do http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535114

This is the inexpensive rifle you saw on CTD's website. The prices listed are MSRP and will be much lower in actual stores. As you can see they are offered in many calibers.

This is the more expensive rifle http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535115 You can see a the differences in more detail here.

I see. Shoot! I thought cheaperthandirt listed every models. Should have checked winchester website first. Again thank you guys!

Back