Winchester 70 Cleaning Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryHN

I have a new Winchester 70 Super Grade in .300 Win Mag. Today I tried to clean the barrel using a spear tip jag and a bore mop both labeled for .30 caliber. However, I am having trouble pushing the rod through the barrel because it is so tight.

Is it normal for it to be the spear tip (with cleaning cloth) or the bore mop to fit this tightly? Should I try pushing harder? I dont want to ruin the bore.

Thanks for the help.

There should be some resistance as you want it to fit snuggly and get the entire bore clean but it shouldn't be so tight that you have to use a lot of force to get it to move through the barrel.

Are you cleaing from the Breach or the Muzzle end?

You should always, when possible, take the bolt out and clean from the breach.

Your patches may be too thick/large. Did you buy patches for a .30 bore?

I would use a bronze brush and some hoppes first, then try your jag and patches...

Figured out the problem. I wasnt holding the cleaning rod by the handle, so it couldnt rotate as it went through the bore. I held it at the handle, and it went through just fine.

Do you think i couldve done any damage to the bore by pushing too hard?

Even if it was a steel jag it's doubtful you'd hurt the bore as the hardness would be lower then the (heat treated to HRC 30+) barrel.

Yeah I used a brass jag and it had a cleaning patch over it. Hopefully it didnt mess up the bore by me pushing too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back