Winchester 70 barrel options

lak2004

Inactive
Ive got a Winchester Model 70 post 64 in .300 WSM and I am looking for a different barrel for it. Something in the 22-26" length and a bull barrel would be nice. Im trying to make it a little heavier to bring down recoil. Any suggestions? Im also planning on a Boyd Laminate stock.

The barrel would be the last thing I repalce to reduce recoil. The recoil pad is the first thing I'd replace, a good quality recoil pad will reduce felt recoil. Next I'd take the rifle to a gunsmith and have it fitted to you, a properly fitted stock will help reduce felt recoil. If it still isn't where you would like the recoil I'd add a muzzle brake that you can put a thread protector on for hunting. I really don't like muzzle brakes but they do work, and they don't ruin the portability of the rifle when out hunting.

The purpose of the WSM cartridges was to give hunters magmum performance, but in lighter, more compact rifles. Seems you would be defeating the purpose of the round.

I might try a better recoil pad, the newer hi-tech pads really do a great job. But before throwing hundreds of dollars at a rifle to reduce recoil I'd just trade it for something I liked better. You will lose money anytime you trade, but I've found it is usually much less than you would pay a gunsmith.

For no additional cost you could switch to lighter bullets, specifically the barnes 130 grain ttsx would reduce felt recoil. That 130 grain bullet will be adequate for anything but elk IMO. Even going down to a 150 grain will help. I handload the 130s for my 06 at 2850 fps and it is quite mild for an 06 and shoots sub moa.

If you bought a WSM and the recoil is too much, it sounds like you need to sell the gun and buy something more suitable for your recoil sensativity. By the time that you have all that work done you could buy a .308, .270, .280, 30'06, 7mm08, or a host of other rifles that will do the job, not beat you up and be more enjoyable to shoot, not to mention cheaper too.

A longer and or heavier barrel will reduce felt recoil. A longer barrel will also improve performance.

As others have said if this is only about reducing recoil you have other options you should look into first.

Several people have said that the point of the rifle is to be light. Is it?
If you have to hike a long way to a tree stand or actively hunt then ecess weight is a bad idea.
If you hunt from a blind or only use the rifle on the range, then weight isn't as important. If that is the case then a long bull barrel would be a good think.

These guys are the only people I have personal experience with. They do good work.
http://www.montanarifleman.com/
http://www.montanarifleco.com/

buzzcook,

I've got a Montana rifle company rifle on the way I ordered it in Nov. They shipped the barreled action promptly but my gunsmith hasn't finished building it yet. He should finish up soon and I can barely wait.

.308, SS, featherweight, blind well, synthetic, backup irons, 22" w/brake, 3.5 X10 VXIII for backpack deer hunting our west. Oh and the bolt is on the correct side ;).

I've got a box of 50 hand loads with various powders and bullets at starting points ready for break in and preliminary load tests.

I've seen the barreled action and the finish is impressive. I'll paint it camo head to toe before it goes afield which would make most of you guys cringe, cry and nash your teeth.

I'll paint it camo head to toe before it goes afield which would make most of you guys cringe, cry and nash your teeth.

Remember to post pics when you get your rifle and I'll remember to put my teeth in so I can nash;)

Back