Winchester 63

Hawg

I went to my LGS yesterday thinking they might have a few older guns. They didn't have any on display except for a couple of Mossberg .22's which didn't excite me. So I asked if they had anything in the back. He said they had a few. he came back with a JM Marlin 30-30 which didn't excite me but he also had this Winchester model 63. whish did excite me. It has some bluing loss and some dings on the stock but overall it's in good shape. He said they hadn't had a chance to clean it yet but it looked good. While he went to find somebody to put a price on it I looked it over pretty good and it was begging me to take it home. I had already made up my mind that if the price wasn't too outrageous I was going to get it. He came back and said 495.00 and I said I'll take it. I felt like that was top dollar for it with the bluing loss but I'm a sucker for odd or unusual guns. When I got it home and broke it down it looked like new inside. No grime or sludge and nothing looked worn. The bore shines like a new dime and a patch came out clean. The right side of the receiver is the worst and looks like something might have gotten spilled on it. The screws in the fore end are pristine and I put some pressure on one of them and it didn't budge so I didn't try any harder. I was scared I'd break it off or mar the slot. The wood has a few dings but nothing major. It shoots great. I ran a box of CCI standard velocity through it and had no hiccups. Ejection is energetic and the firing pin leaves deep clean indentions. The only drawbacks are I have a hard time focusing on the front sight so I'm not including an offhand target but I nailed every Coke can I shot at 25 yards and the trigger is heavy but I got used to the trigger after a few rounds.

b2B1TXIl.png

tQyBkwEl.png

2uzbAFQl.png

nKXRhEel.png

oCzK2kml.png

wP8HuZwl.png

RUefrncl.png

There was one circulating the gun shows here a few years ago. It looked great until the vendor said "Turn it over." which exposed the vibro-graver id number in LARGE digits.

Back