Winchester .44 RemMag

riverdog

Has anyone used the Winchester USA 44 Mag 240gr JSP in their Ruger revo? I'll be picking up a Ruger Bisley in .44 Rem Mag and considering a case of this to start. Consistent, clean? TIA

Haven't used any of that personally, but you mentioned clean & consistent.
If you handload I recomend VIHTN110. I love it in my 357 and 44. Shoots very clean, very little muzzle blast. Also, the heavier the bullet the better it seems to work. The stuff is geared toward warm loads, doesn't work well with slower moving non-jacketed bullets. My 44 was bought to hunt with, so it's usually fed warm loads. If yours was bought for light target loads, disregard this post.

This will be my second .44Mag. The other is a S&W M-29 which as I understand, shouldn't be fed the warmer loads -- I'll restrict it to 240g/1000fps type loads. The Bisley OTOH will cross the spectrum and could see anything from target loads to hunting loads. Depends how masochistic I feel on any given day :)

Just wondering how clean the Win load was. I've fired some remanufactured LSWC that were very dirty and I'm tryiong to avoid buying a case of that.

Works fine in my Dan Wessons and Model 29. Shoot my own reloads mostly but buy the Winchester when I need to accumulate some .44 Mag Brass.
Take Care

Speaking of brass...

How does the .44 Win brass compare to ... uhh ... Starline? or would I be better off to just buy the brass components outright. I have reloaded in the past and that is an option.

Thanks for the responses.

Have loaded a bunch of it, never a problem. Have some on its 4th refill with no issues. Use the Federal American Eagle brass as well with no issues. Never loaded any .44 Mag Starline so I can't give an honest opinion. Drop a post over in the Handloading forum and I'm sure you'll get get some good input.
Take Care

The Winchester brass has always worked for me in my standard to light reloads. Remington brass is a little thicker so I'll use that when I load up HOT hunting loads. Starline is also uses a heavier case and could be used for this purpose. Winchester store bought ammo has always been a clean and accurate fodder for my Ruger. I have way more Winchester brass than anything else.

Riverdog, I use starline for my hunting loads. But they are ussually right at the top of the power scale. I use winchester brass all the time for lighter target loads (never over the middle of loading charts). Some of the winchester brass is over 10 reloads, no problems yet. The only thing I'm careful of is not to over expand the case mouth, as that seems to shorten case life.

Back