Winchester .44 Mag Lever Action

Hal

Ho! Ho! Ho! Guess what Santa has for me? The idea of a .44 Mag in a rifle has always made a lot of sense to me. I have never had the chance to shoot anything other than the .44 in a handgun. Is it a decent mid range, out to 50 yards, round? I have a 30-30 that I like a lot, but because I have nowhere to shoot it, I wanted a lever action that could be fired at my local range. The year 2K hub-bub was sufficiant reason to want something a little more potent than a handgun. I don't think there will be mass shutdowns of civilization, but I do have a decent stock of .44 brass and powder. Although I would prefer a .308, there is nowhere to use it for practice. Besides, the lever action is kinda neat looking, especially the Trapper version I bought.

I've had my Marln 1894 in 44 Mag for about 20 years now. It's been a truck gun and it's not real pretty anymore but it still works. I've been offered triple what I paid for it several times.

I have a Marlin 1894 in .44 magnum as a companion to my Ruger Redhawk. I expect the lever action to be able to perform out to 150 yards on deer size animals. The Redhawk with a scope can even do that from a solid rest so the carbine with the same loads ought to perform better than the handgun. I have a 3-9x 32 on the Marlin and playing with it at 100 yards two weeks ago I was able to keep 5-6" groups without a solid rest and it wasn't sighted in properly. Next weekend is my time to get it set up completely and test my newest load.
Plainsman :-)

i had a winchester 1894 44 mag., and i loved it. shot well, pointed almost naturally. then like a dope, thought i was hurtin' for money and sold it. stupid, stupid, stupid! i will get another!!!

------------------
fiat justitia

Back