Winchester 30-30 model 1884??????

ancientoaks

Inactive
Got a call ..owner needs to sell and says he has a Winchester model 1884, cal 30-30..old family heirloom...Saw this gun quite awhile ago but paid little attention except to note it seemed in very good shape..Didn't check the model or anything else. just glanced at it...serial is 815xxx. cannot find a thing about a model 1884 with a cal 30-30...anyone have any info or where I can get some? It was a pretty gun but need more info before considering a purchase..(we love old Winchesters and bought a nice 1873 38-40 from the same person...)
thanks a bunch!!
ps serial is 815xxx

cannot find a thing about a model 1884 with a cal 30-30

That's because the 30-30 or 30 WCF as it was called then was introduced in 1895 for the 1894 Winchester. Date of manufacture for that serial number for an 1894 is 1917

thanks again! as I suspected...now, what I do NOT know at this time is whether it's a sporting model, a carbine, etc etc....does the value depend on these factors in addition to condition? as I recall, it had some blue left and the wood was in excellent, lightly used shape...

he is asking $1200

Me personally, if it's a standard carbine I wouldn't give half that for it. If it's the rifle version with a 26 inch octogonal barrel, maybe but I'd try to get it for less. If it's deluxe model, Hell yeah.

I was told by someone yesterday that the serial number is one 'never used by WInchester', I guess I don't understand, from what I can gather and what was told here, I thought the serial number was indicitive of 1917 manufacture.
Is it a number not used for the model 1894? I had found a site that listed all the serial numbers for that model and it fell right into the 1917 era....it's really confusing.....any help is appreciated as well as how to tell the different styles apart or where one can see photos to compare?
thanks.

I have no idea why anyone would say that serial number was not used by Winchester. The serial number and date information you were given is that reported by all sources I have.

As to styles, first check the barrel length, then type of barrel (round or octagon). Then check for any engraving or unusual marks like gift markings and the like. If it is a carbine, check for a saddle ring, those bring more money. Check the buttplate for steel, plastic (hard rubber), or deeply curved.)

Winchester made some 1.5 million 1894 Models before WWII so, while prices and collector interest are high on pre-war guns, only the very best sell for big bucks. If the gun is like new in the box, it could bring as much as $4k, even without being anything special. But, very few 94's are in good shape; most were hunting guns, were carried and used, and show it, with a corresponding decrease in value.

Jim

Jim, thank you so very much for your informative answer. I really like this forum as it truly serves to educate those of us who need it and are really interested in learning. Will be using yours and other info to try and evaluate this weapon...

and Mr Hawg, the link in invaluable to us, thanks..

ok...here's the skinny....it's an octogon 26" rifle , quite a bit of blue on the barrel, wood has much of what looks like it's orginal finish, little to no scratching, looks like the gun was very very lightly and carefully used....it's got the adjustable 'buckhorn' (?) sight....there is saddle ring . it has a nice curve to the stock (not a shotgun stock) with a metal (brass) guard..sorry if my terminology is wrong...the young man said there was no saddle ring. We are hoping to go back and see the gun this week to compare it to the information we got here...there is no checkering or other designs on the wood, nor on the magazine...he was not able to know whether it was a breakdown or not from our phone conversation..I seriously doubt it since it was his grandad's gun and he was around these guns growing up..is it still worth around $1200 or so? or do we need still more information?
does any of this help?

My personal opinion not having seen it, it's worth it but it's at the top of it's value. It's not a deal. Others may have different opinions. This is probably going to be one of those guns you have to look at personally and make up your own mind if it's worth it to you.

thank you again...we are anxious to see it...and understand, you should buy what you like, just being careful not to over pay, and you all have helped us to determine that...

There would not normally be a saddle ring on a rifle, but it is one of those things one asks about. Also, the normal rifle would have a rifle butt plate, like a ")" with a deep curve.

Jim

Back