Winchester 275

Deerhunt

I was in a local gun shop and found a Winchester 275 (pump action 22 mag) in near excellent condition for $295. If I didn't like it I could trade with my grandpa for his new remington 572 (pump action 22 lr). I was wondering if anybody had any opinions or experience with the Winchester

I'm not familiar with that particular rifle. However, .22 Mag isn't always easy to find and rarely cheap compared to the .22 LR. If you want a rifle to shoot a lot then get a rifle you want in .22 LR. You can still buy several hundred rounds of .22 LR for the cost of 100 rounds of .22 WMR.

I already have 4 22lr but no 22 mag in my collection so it would mostly be to take out hunting and such rather than a target shooter

My Brother bought a nice used 275 for close range coyotes. I scoped and zeroed it for him. That was mid-1970's and the ammo options were narrow. The 275 was barely accurate enough to hit a coyote @ 150 yards and bullet performance was inadequate for use much beyond 100 yards. Now there are many more choices and bullets are far better so the results might be better but it's still a gamble unless/until you can test fire the rifle.

The Wincheter 275 was produced from the late 1960s until the early 1980s. Even if you find one in near-mint condition, they were not that good of a rifle to begin with, and parts are virtually non-existent.

I have a marlin 983s that I was given a few years back. New in box and everything. Adjusted the sights, ended up scoping it and it's a tackdriver. It was given to me in case I wanted to hunt coyotes and then i fell by the wayside a bit when 22 magnum dried up a bit. I probably have 4 boxes sitting around ready to go and now I can find it stocked down at walmart and a few other places.

But $12 to 19 for a pack of 50 shells turns me off. I have a feeling if you already have the .17 there's no real need for this in your collection.

46ac87ad.jpg

.22 Mag ammo appears to be temporarily out of production, Stateside. Runs around $20 per 50 when it is found.
Anyway, a Winchester M275 is nearly a collector's piece. Supposedly one of the rarest of the Winchester 200 series according to these guys. http://guncollectionsonline.com/winchester275.htm
There's 1 on Gunbroker at $459 with no bids. So $295 is a really good price.
Gunparts shows lots of parts should you need any. The Win M250, 255, 270, 275, and 290 are the same rifle.

Back