winchester 223 brass ?

rebs

I was told this brass is soft and fire forms very well, true or false ?
I am currently using Lake City 5.56 to load 223 rem, would Winchester or any other brass be any better ?
I am loading and shooting for accuracy at 100 to 300 yds in a bolt gun

Any generic mass-produced brass, particularly .223/5.56mm, isn't going to be the best source for accuracy loads, you would be better off starting with virgin cases from Lapua or similar. I don't know that any brass would fireform better or worse than any other, it's the rest of the case dimensions and brass quality that matters.

"...Any generic mass-produced brass..." What makes you think Lapua is not generic and mass produced? It's expensive because it comes from Europe. Not because it's any better.
There's nothing soft about Winchester brass. It's Federal that is known for being softer than other brands. That really only means it doesn't last as long before primer pockets deform. I've never found the brand of brass to make the slightest bit of difference.

I have found that I get more reloads from quality brass than I do from less expensive brass. Primer pockets seem to stay tight longer and drilled flash holes are more uniform than punched flash holes.

In my gas operated guns, LC is my brass of choice however for my bolt rifles I use Lapua becasue of the consistency and long lifespan. I would switch to American made for the bolt rifles in a heartbeat if Peterson or Alpha produced .223.

I used a lot of Winchester brass for my 220 Swift over the years. When fully prepped, it gave great accuracy and plenty of reloads. No complaints. But I have gone back to Norma cases. It needs less prep work.

I use a lot of Win brass. It's inexpensive, easy to find and works very well. If you really think it's better to buy expensive brass, do it. I think it's all in your head but in the end you'll feel better about it!

It'll be fine.

If forming and/or fire-forming to another cartridge, then it's worth putting more consideration into the starting point. ...For which Winchester a decent choice - especially if annealed.

But for use in a .223 Rem chamber, it doesn't really matter. Stick with the Lake City, if you want. It's plenty good. If you think it can be better, uniform them and sort by weight, case capacity, etc.
My "precision" applications of .223/5.56 brass use more LC brass than anything else, with Hornady a distant second.

(I've chased my tail a bit this year with .17-223, and learned still more about .223 / 5.56 brass and head stamps that I thought I would ever need to know. [Similar, but shorter and simpler story with 6x45mm a few years ago.] Winchester, whether 'commercial' or military stamped, fire-forms really well; and is one of the best options for moving the shoulder back and/or necking down, once annealed.)

I was told this brass is soft and fire forms very well, true or false ?
I am currently using Lake City 5.56 to load 223 rem, would Winchester or any other brass be any better ?
I am loading and shooting for accuracy at 100 to 300 yds in a bolt gun
Varies lot to lot in my experience.

Back