Winchester 22 pump

Wayne235

Inactive
I have a winchester 22 pump I bought for Christmas. I have searched online and can't seem to find it listed because of variations on the rifle.
It is a winchester 22 pump. It does not have a model number and is stamped 22 SHORT on the barrel. It has Made In USA Winchester repeating arms co. New Haven CONN on the barrel. The serial is in two places and is 80xxx in one place and 80xxxA in the second location. The forearm is smooth and 4 1/8 inches long. Another part that is unusual is the barrel length of 17 inches. I see a model 62 should be 23 inches. It appears to be a pre war but not sure with the short forearm without any groves. I did find a smooth forearm part listed for a 1890 model. The bullet loading port is bullet shaped not triangle. The reat sight is a flip up and not a ramp. The front sight looks like the regular model 62 sight. Trying to determine if someone cut this one to 17 inches or if it may be a factory modification. The front sight is very near the end of the loading tube. Also the last 3/8 inch of the outer part of the barrel screws off
and the barrel has threads(maybe for a silencer?) I have pictures online that I can link to an email address. Maybe someone has seen a 17 inch barrel before.

28win1906whole.jpg

It might be some version of a Model 1906. Hope this helps!

Steve

Found this in a closet

Hey folks,
While cleaning my in-laws closet, I found a Winchester 06 .22 pump, serial number 288679. The rifle looks good with wear on the stock and pump.
Any information is greatly appreciated.
Warm regards,
DM

Serial puts your '06 to 1912 manufacture.
The early ones were chambered for .22 shorts only but yours is in an range to be interesting and a couple pictures would be very nice.
Is there any nickle on the receiver? is there a pistol grip on the stock??

thanks for the pictures Wayne,
The position of the loading port on the magazine tube is interesting. I was talking about it with a friend that is IMHO in the same league as some of our top experts here, anyway he has seen the loading port in that position and especially with the .22 Short would make for much faster loading and your rifle might just have been a Gallery gun.
that might account for the threads on the end of the barrel also, and that might have been for a silencer or even a lanyard of some kind to prevent the muzzle from wondering.
I am on an I-pad and not able to attach any of your pictures but if you can you should or I will when I get access to my other comp.

Pictures

Here are a few images of Waynes '06 Win

Attachments

• 06mag1.jpg
    06mag1.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 06 feed.jpg
    06 feed.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 72
  • vcm_s_kf_repr_884x589.jpg
    vcm_s_kf_repr_884x589.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 394
Barrel Crown

A few images of Waynes threaded barrel crown.

Attachments

• 06thread.JPG
    06thread.JPG
    232.1 KB · Views: 52
  • vcm_s_kf_repr_884x589.jpg
    vcm_s_kf_repr_884x589.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 49
  • crown2.JPG
    crown2.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 51
Whats the chances of the mag being rotated to bring the loading port to where it is?
Only a small groove in it for the retaining pin to slide into so could have had a new groove cut and then been turned. Would lend weight to the idea of it once being a gallery gun. No idea why they would cut two grooves at the front of the mag though.

Last edited:
I was thinking the two groves might be to add resistance to hold the rod in place, but that is a WAG :)
This picture puts the loading port in the same elevation as Wayne's rifle.
Although ist also visible on Stevens post but I didn't see it at first.
123win1906barrel.jpg

Last edited:
attachment.php

Looks proper to me and that vintage 1st 2 years of production was only chambered in .22 Short
I posted earlier that the date was 1912 and that is wrong Your rifle is a 1907.

Gbro,

How was that scope ring/mount attached to the barrel? I have a Winchester 1906 with a 1990's barrel (no collector value) that I want to put any old 50's scope on. I have an old mount, but need a way to attach it. Was your barrel drilled and tapped? Thanks.

Ranb

scope

The barrel is drilled and tapped for the scope.
The loading tube has been turned to the side. I looked at another winchester and I could see the two groves in the tube turned to the barrel. Mine are visible because the tube is turned so the loading hole is to the side.

The loading tube is also drilled and the barrel tapped near the front site with a screw holding the end of the tude to the barrel. You can see the hole used to insert the screw in the picture.

Back