winchester 1906 firing pin

Jmat975

Inactive
Hello, all. I am in the process of rebuilding my grandfather's winchester 1906. It sat in his basement for a good many years after he passed and had to be soaked in oil for nearly a month just to be able to disassemble and clean everything.
After cleaning and reassembly, everything cycles freely and smoothly except the firing pin. When the action is cycled and the hammer is dropped on the "button" for the firing pin, it only pushes in about half way.
I can use light pressure on the hammer to fully depress the button and get full travel out of the firing pin. After doing this, the firing pin moves freely as it should until the action is cycled again. Then it gets stiff or sticky again.
The pin moves freely and smoothly with the bolt out of the rifle.
Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
James

There is a disconnect mechanism that prevents the slide from opening the bolt unless the hammer is all the way down and pushing on the firing pin. I suspect it may be clogged with crud.

That sounds logical. All of the internal parts have been removed,cleaned and oiled. I assume the "disconnect" (for lack of a better word) is part of the carrier assembly since there aren't really any other moving parts in the receiver. Any idea where to focus my attention?

There are two screws on top of the bolt, these are the firing pin stop screws. Take the bolt out of the receiver, unscrew the two screws, clean the firing pin and channel, then reassemble.

Also, take the hammer out of the receiver and clean the lower receiver, then make sure your hammer spring strain screw is tight enough to power the hammer.

Thank you both for the advice.
I stripped, cleaned and reassembled the rifle. The problem persists.
Out of curiosity, I put some machinist's blue on the bolt and firing pin. It looks like the carrier is rubbing the firing pin heavily through the cut out in the bottom of the bolt.

I have forgotten more than I remember about that rifle, but IIRC, RKG is correct. When the hammer falls, it pushes in the firing pin and holds it in; that unlocks the action so the bolt will open. If the hammer does not do that, the hammer spring may be weak or broken or the strain screw may be backed off.

I would check the last item first, as folks sometimes re-assemble those guns without putting enough tension on the hammer spring.

Jim

Back