Winchester 1897

big_ed

I recently aquired a Winchester 1897, it appears to be a riot shotgun with a poly choke installed the barrel is marked 12 ga. 2 3/4 CYL. It shows very minor wear, retains much of the blueing, and none of the screw heads appear to have ever been touched. S/N 928*** (@1947), with an E prefix just above.

The questions I have are what is the approx. worth and would it benefit to have the poly choke removed and a bead reinstalled.

Pokychokes actually work. I just got an Ithaca 37 with one on it, it is going to be my wife's turkey gun as it has a shorter barrel which will be just fine for her.

One possibility if you remove the polychoke is that you will simply have a cylinder bore (no choke left).

I would try it before removing it. You might find you actually like it.

The cowboy action shooters are pretty fond of 1897s. They have driven the prices up to where a fair specimen can go for $600-ish. Got one in the shop the other day like yours, cyl bore but no PolyChoke. It's a nice enough gun, if you can learn to hold the grip area tight when you pump the action (otherwise you will bleed). I would prefer a Model 12.

big ed said:
the barrel is marked 12 ga. 2 3/4 CYL.

The barrel has a factory choke designation stamped into it.

IMO the PolyChoke is an aftermarket addition on that particular Winchester because, AFAIK, guns/barrels with factory-installed compensators were usually Cutts, but even if a PolyChoke was used, no choke designation (CYL) would have been stamped into the bbl.

Soooooo, removing the PolyChoke & re-installing the proper bead front sight should restore it to the way it left the factory (provided the bbl hasn't been shortened, etc) - a cylinder-choked shotgun.

I measured the barrel from the bolt face, it measures @ 22" to the end of the Poly-choke and slightly more than 20" to what looks like the end of the barrel.

How are poly chokes installed? Silver soldered?

Attachments

• bailee032813 014.jpg
    bailee032813 014.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 23

Polychokes are usually mounted by threading, or solder/braze, or both (in some cases).

I would expect a long-recoil gun installation to use both to secure a Polychoke, but not a pump like yours.

Back