Winchester 1895 in .405 caliber question ?

WIN1886

I found a Miroku made Winchester 1895 in .405 at a reasonable price and was wondering if anyone here has one or uses this caliber ? It doesn't look like there is a lot of factory ammo options but would reload for the rifle anyway ! I already own a couple 45-70 lever rifles so not sure if I'll bite on this deal or not but the .405 caliber does sound interesting ! Anybody , use or have some input on the 1895 lever action in .405 caliber , thanks !

Last edited:
Since the time it was first made there have been complaints about the poorly designed stock producing uncomfortable recoil.
Performance should be excellence and it was Teddy Roosevelt's favorite for lion .
Miroku makes very fine guns like my Browning 1885.

444 Marlin numbers. Mag takes pointed bullets. Looks legit to 200yards. Williams still lists rear peep and side mounts for scope(top eject), but some discussion on other forums about the holes on modern reproductions having metric threads.

I had a "95 in 405 a couple of years ago, it was nicely accurate with the Factory hornady ammo, I only shot the round nose bullet. Recoil was there but nothing that would deter an experienced shooter.

I mounted the Williams Peep sight and could easily hold 2" groups at 100yds.

My friend has the Teddy Roosevelt Commerative and he absolutely loves it. It is indeed a fine rifle and caliber, even if it is a little heavy.

Mine shot well with 300gr JSP's and an XS bolt peep sight I moved from the top of a Marlin 1894 to the flat rear top section of the M1895's bolt, also installing a higher front sight blade.

IMO the recoil was just fine, while hunting - but for zeroing/practice, I always made sure to temporarily install a slip-on (w/leather boot) recoil pad (especially since most of that activity took place in hot T-shirt weather).

I first found the magazine loading method a bit odd, but soon became used to it, eventually actually liking it. (kewl)

Drat , missed out on it...should of known it would sell quick at the good asking price ! Thanks for replies !

Snooze/lose - If the price was THAT reasonable, it woulda been easy enough to turn over, if it didn't work out after jumping on "it".

Yeah, the gennie's had too much drop to the buttstocks and some had that crescent BP which kicked HARD if it was placed on the shoulder like a shotgun butt.

FWIW, my 2002 Miroku/Winchester M-1895 .405 had a flat/shotgun butt.

I have one and love it mine is a C Sharpes 28" barrel still have to remember its not a rifle like my bolt actions are :cool:

Back