Winchester 1895 in 30-03 Rechambered?

dbuffington

Hi Folks!

I have Winchester 1895 (serial 66800, made in 1912) with "30 U.S.MOD. 1903" stamped on the barrel.

Presumably, it was originally chambered in 30-03 Springfield, and there's no obvious indication that it has been rechambered in 30-06.

How can I check to see what it is chambered for?

Thanks!
Dave

It is very much likely that it is still chambered for .30-03.
You cannot "rechamber" a .30-03 to .30-06 unless you set the barrel back a turn like the Army did on 1903 Springfields. Unlikely to have been done on an 1895 considering you could just load it with .30-06 if that was all you had.

If you just must know, the only route is a chamber cast.

It is very much likely that it is still chambered for .30-03.
You cannot "rechamber" a .30-03 to .30-06 unless you set the barrel back a turn like the Army did on 1903 Springfields. Unlikely to have been done on an 1895 considering you could just load it with .30-06 if that was all you had.

That makes perfect sense.

If you just must know, the only route is a chamber cast.

I've never done that, but I've been itching to try. Stay tuned :eek:

A lot of people over the years have reported rather poor accuracy using .30-06 in Winchester 95s chambered in .30-03.

As far as I know, .30-03 brass isn't available, and hasn't been for a long time.

But there is an easy solution...

Necking up .270 Winchester brass.

The .270 Winchester case is the exact same length as the .30-03 cartridge, and in fact it appears that the .30-03 was the base case used in developing the .270.

Uh, we're having a good laugh in the office about that right now :o

The kids here -- at a weekly newspaper in central Pennsylvania -- always joke about my "goldfish memory" and this isn't helping me at all.

The only saving grace is that this has nothing to do with old age. I've always been this way :rolleyes:

Thanks for your patience!
Dave

There are no gunshops in Hummelstown, but plenty in the area. Of course, there are the chains (e.g., Bass Pro, Gander Mtn) and there are relatively large local shops (e.g., Kinseys and Trop). Plus, there are a pile of small speciality shops, my favorite being Lanco Tactical in Elizabethtown.

Even better, there are a LOT of great ranges. I go to Hummelstown Shooting Association, Middletown Field & Stream and Palmyra Sportsman's.

buffalo arms in idaho carries new formed brass from cylindrical 35 Whelen cases and carries both CH4D reloading dies and new loaded ammo for the 30-03

Back