Winchester 1894

Wharfrat2

Inactive
I've a chance to buy the following rifle for $1,000, and have some questions.

It is a Winchester model 1894 lever action in Nickle-Steel. (Did not know it was available then!) No rust, but a little "tarnish." Action works well, but stiff--needs oil? Stamped: Pat. Aug 21 1894, 30 W.C.F.

Does it really shoot modern .30 Cal? If not where can I find ammo? Should it be fired at all? Worth $1,000? Also the thing is hardly 40" total. Have to admit I do like it.

So sorry! I should have spent more time writing post.

I don't have photo but got the following infl:
Serial No. is 213859
Barrel is 19" and round.
The barrel, receiver, lever, trigger, hammer, butt plate are all nickle-steel.

Tks for responding so quickly.

30 WCF is plain old 30-30 Winchester. Condition will determine value.

Dang, Remchester beat me to it.:D

Since a 19" bbl would have been a "Special Order" item, I would think it's length wasn't measured properly - via dropping a rod downbore to the face of the closed bolt, marking it at the muzzle, then withdrawing the rod & measuring it to the mark.

If the length is truely 19", I would put the gun in the $400 shooter range for the cut barrel, sans substantiating Winchester (Cody Museum) paperwork, and/or clear pics with the measurements of the front sight & magazine end & hanger dovetail from that 19" muzzle.
If those measurements are the same as known/documented factory measurments/methods, then it's possibly "ok", and worth more (depending as posted, on "condition")

BTW - "Condition" doesn't mean "good" or "great for it's age".
It refers to the remaining % of factory original finishes on both wood & metal, and additional features beyond issue items, the bore condition, and the disclosure of any other issues like the mechanical operating condition, rust, cracks, scratches, dents & bulges.

There would also be some value difference between a "Rifle" model (forend cap among other features), and a "Carbine" Model ( forend barrel band ILO a cap, among other features).

Pics would be good.

Yes, the barrel length sounds off. It needs to be measured from the bolt face to the muzzle, not to the front of the receiver. It's easy to see the front of the bolt, or the back end of the barrel if you want to think of it that way. Open the action is a simple way.

If there's any changes from original configuration it will change the potential value. Original sights are expensive in particular. An added sling or extra holes for special sights will also affect value. Does it have the sling ring (commonly called a saddle ring)?

Actually, the date is 1904. The commonly available date information can be off by several years in the earleir guns. Here's the most accurate information available at this time.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29545&sid=750ab4b2535dd7ea500e69f8115213e1

Last edited:
Back